Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

building a procedural wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdwardMartinIII

Technical User
Sep 17, 2002
US
Good morning!

I've been tasked to build a procedural wiki of some sort for my employer.

In the past, I've simply built internal websites, and added or subtracted pages manually in accordance with what changed, but as I'm sure anyone here would realize, this becomes unwieldy if it grows too large.

So, I'm exploring options.

One thought I had to to simply use some wiki software (such as MediaWiki). Another thought was to use some localized CMS (maybe a local version of Drupal?) and give all employees accounts on it, such that they can edit the pages as they need to.

One fellow employee dropped by my desk the other day and excitedly asked when I'll start "full discovery." (I don't even know what, exactly, that MEANS, in this instance, unfortunately. I punted and replied "Not until I can get a functioning infrastructure in place," which probably wasn't a punt after all, but a very reasonable response)

This is a big jump of new technology for me -- I'm open to advice, suggestions, thoughts, questions, or more!

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

Do you have Sharepoint at your place? We have a portal for our team, and they use it to create all sorts of things. There is a built in Wiki, and they also have a 'chat' forum to share other sorts of ideas and best-practice.

Should be worth a look.

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

Why yes, we DO have Sharepoint 2010, and I just found the tiny section on wiki use in the Big Book O' Sharepoint I have.

Interesting...

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

DNN also has a wiki module.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Just create a wiki site/subsite/page in Sharepoint, give everyone who needs it contribute access and poof you're done.

Greg
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use. Kierkegaard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back