Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Building a HA NFS configuration, with a twist

Status
Not open for further replies.

forrie

MIS
Mar 6, 2009
US
We have a Sunfire thumper x4520 with Solaris 10 that I will eventually be tasked at migrating functions to Linux. The primary function of this system is NFS, it serves as our central NAS.

I've seen some references to using DRBD, which is a possibility. However, I wanted to get some advice from people who may have gone through this before.

On this system, we have both ZFS and VxFS (Veritas) systems. I hate Veritas, but we might be stuck with it given the limited filesystems available for Linux; BRTFS is not yet production quality; the reason being is we have about 30 terabytes of disk space, lots of I/O (media files mostly).

This is a single point of failure and I'm trying to convince management here to invest in a second machine that can be used in a local HA configuration. We have a remote host that is similar in design that we are currently mirroring content to (mirror = rsync, hourly) that I will need to address also -- I don't know if it's possible to include that in some failover configuration, I can wait on that.

Has anyone here been through this? What did you ultimately use, and how difficult was it to migrate the data, etc?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back