Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Building a DLL that can be called from a MSVC EXE

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomethinXtra

Programmer
Feb 13, 2011
US
Hi all, new kid on the block.. Have been using Borland C++ Builder for years but quit updating when I received Builder-5. 5 has done everything I have needed and so far MS hasn't broken anything I have written with it's continuous OS updates.

Wondering if it's possible to create a DLL in Builder that can be called from a MSVC EXE. The EXE calls functions in a DLL, I assume was also written with MSVC. I need to replace the DLL with one that adds functionality to a couple routines but do not have access to the EXE source or MSVC.

Google has produced a few examples but they all assume you are going to recompile the calling app using imports from the DLL. I can't do that, don't want to learn another compiler nor give MS and more money than I absolutely have to. I can write the functions but don't know how to make sure the EXE can see them.

Thanks
Bob

My immediate response is I don't know how to make C++ Builder DLLs that are accessible from VC++ and my following offering might not help. There is an article available at called "Using Visual C++ DLLs with C++Builder". Perhaps the article can give some clues as to how to make your DLLs accessible via a VC++ program.

Steve.

Thanks for trying to help. I have studied everything I could find including the article above and everything is assuming you are re-compiling the EXE using the DLL header and library files..

Guess the tough part is creating a DLL with the same entry points and calls as the DLL I am trying to replace. May be more trouble than it's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back