Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Building A Computer: No Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoogain

Programmer
Feb 16, 2006
US
I'm building a new computer for my house that is supposed to be like a "SUPER COMPUTER". i bought all the parts including case, power, CD Drive, Hard Drive, Floppy, CPU, Motherboard, and memory. i have the rest to build it. i read the manual and guilds over and over and i cant find out why when i turn on the computer, nothing shows up on the screen. the cool little lights light up and temperature gauges work fine though. I also tested the moniter out on another computer and it worked fine. the list of hardware that i bought is below.

CASE:
FLOPPY:
CD:
HARD DRIVE:
MOTHERBOARD:
POWER SUPPLYS:
CPU:

I really need help.. i wanted this done yesterday but.. that didnt work. :)

Do you hear any beeps when the computer powers on? Also check the motherboard, there should be a LED on there to let you know if it's getting power or not.

there is a faint beep and the LED light is solid green. i also found out that if i leave the computer on for a few minutes, it auto-shuts off.

actually, that beep is just the motherboard or something else loading. if the beep is supposed to come from speakers, then i dont know. i do not have speakers hooked up yet.

What video card are you using?

Have you tried reseating it?

You dont have your ram listed up there. What ram are you using, and what size? Also if using more than one chip, remove and leave just one in at a time. If that works then the other chip is bad. If it doesnt switch with the other. Let us know the results

i have a DDR2, 240 pin, 1G memory. i dont use a video card either, im using the built in one. i have ordered another one just in case though...

Sounds like a bad ram or video, im more guessing to say bad ram though. Do you have another computer you can test it in or know someone who does?

Check if the Floppy drive LED is on all the time. If it is on all the time, the floppy drive cable is upside down.

As for the system running a few minutes and shutting off... that might be heat related. You might try removing the heatsink and reinstalling it.

ok we sent for a new motherboard to see if that works. ive tryed to use the computer without the RAM and its still not running, i have no other computers that will fit a DDR2 in it. the floppy led is not on. i also tryed alling ASUS for tech-support, and they also said to try another motherboard... so thats where im headed right now. ill let you all know if it still wont work. here is a link for the RAM that im using.

RAM:

yoogain said:
the cool little lights light up and temperature gauges work fine though

What about fans, most notably the CPU cooling fan? Have you tried reseating the CPU, video card, and RAM?

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

yoogain
I've checked and this motherboard does appear to support the Intel 640 you are using BUT!
I know some motherboards do require bios flashing to support this later EM64 640 CPU.
If this proves to be the case you will need an older CPU to first reach post before a flash can be carried out.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back