Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Builder text editor & continuous installs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honestmath

Technical User
Jan 8, 2003
US
Hello,

I'm working from a demo version of builder 6 comparing to see whether I want Borland or Visual C++ and have a few annoying things I've encountered.

1) The text editor doesn't seem to be all that knowledgable about the language and formatting. I hate that every line automatically fills with spaces to infinity. When I reach the end of a line I just want to press forward space and go to the beginning of the next line. Is there a way to get it to act like MS Visual Basic editor for C++ (I've never tried Visual C++ so I don't know if it's like Visual Basic)??

2) I built a simple trial program where I included a few Active X and Sample items including TperformanceGraph, F1Book (a spreadsheet object) and 3 others for a total of 5 of these types of objects. Whenever I run, builder acts like its the first time I've ever run it and brings up the "Preparing to install" popup followed by a 'configuring builder' dialog --- it does this 5 times, once for each object, I guess. Why does it do this and how can I get around it?

Thanks for the help!

Math

I've never noticed either of these on my Builder. Was there a problem with your install?

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]To determine how long it will take to write and debug a program, take your best estimate, multiply that by two, add one, and convert to the next higher units.[/sup]

Hi,

thanks for the response. I didn't have any problems with the install, but it is a demo version.

does your real version have context sensitive editing? The demo version does when it comes to visual objects and the like, but not with regards to parentheses or loops or such. I like the color coding of the Visual Basic editor as well.

Thanks again,

Math

Yes, I have context editing but I don't like it. I've been using Multi-Edit ( since the days of DOS. I've gotten so used to it, anything else doesn't work for me. It integrates into Builder so I use it instead.

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]To determine how long it will take to write and debug a program, take your best estimate, multiply that by two, add one, and convert to the next higher units.[/sup]

By default the wait until the suggestions pop up is maybe to long to your taste. You can change that and set it shorter.

As to code completion of code structures, that's not automatic (thank the heavens), and is activated using macros (type a few characters and press a key combination).

Colour coding is fully customisable.

I've not tried using ActiveX components in CBuilder but in Delphi they don't behave like you describe. Most likely the installation of the components inside the IDE didn't work (or you skipped the step completely) and CBuilder is just trying to load them inside the debugger afresh every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back