Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

build quiet but cool system 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpha88

MIS
Jan 1, 2004
US
The title says it all I plain on building a p4 2.4c or a barton 2500. I want a system thats as queit as my dells. I currently have a 1900xp thats noisy as hell 2 3 90mm case fans. I've heard they have special fans now that spin up only when system gets hot. I'm using this antec case now I have the one at the bottom of the page. I'm open to case and fan options by the way the system will house 1 36 gig 10000 rpm scci, 1 burner, 1 dvd and of course sound card video card, and nic also will have 1 gig of ram.

I, too, have a noisy as hell PC. I've replaced two of my 80mm fans with Vantec Stealth Fans and it is quieter. I just read that there is an extremely quiet fan from a company Silenx. They have a web site and sell direct. Do a Google search for Silenx review. Good luck.

From previous experience, the True Power Antec systems are the quietest. This appears to be a Smart Power system, which does (I believe) have the thermal sensing power leads for fans. My personal experience has been the volumes are about the same, but the the True Power seems to be a little quieter.

My recomendation is to go with that case, but plan on replacing the noisy Antec case fans (they are relatively quiet, but there are much quieter on the market) and buy some of the neon LED fans from CoolerMaster (your choice of color they all blow the same). These are some of the quietest fans (25dba) for the highest volume of air moved (32.11 CFM) - for the cheapest price ($7.99 - they go on sell sometimes for less - they used to only be $5.99). Plus they give you the cool geek light up factor that everyone seems to be so fond of.

These will quiet the case - now the only other source is the CPU heatsink. I would recommend buying the highest copper content heatsink (one of the Termalright SLK series) that your budget will allow, and that your MB will fit, and consider attaching one of the above fans. Depending on your desire to overclock (which if sound is your goal, I assume overclocking is not) you may need to sacrifice some sound level for higher CFM.

I have built only one 2500+ Barton with this setup (except that I think I left the stock AMD fan and cooler in), and it worked quite well. I have had no issues as of yet. Once the computer was put under the desk, the only indication that it was on was the blue fan light comming out from under the desk.

Just a rule of thumb, I have heard that anything less 30DB is barely audible on fans. I try to stick with this, and it has served me quite well. Just be sure to watch your CFM rates on low noise fans.

Another good Pentium 4 CPU heatsink is Swiftech MCX 4000 using a (separately purchased) 80 mm Vantec Stealth fan. This heatsink uses a good common sense installation technique that minimizes the chance you may crack the CPU when installing or removing the heatsink.

Also consider a Zalman Northbridge Cooler to replace the small (but sometimes noisey) little fan on some motherboards. This cooler is a small passive heatsink with fins (no noise at all).

I am using both of the above products as part of a successful effort to quiet down my machine.

If you are going for true silence and cooler temps. water cooling is the way to go....or if you want to go overboard you could get a vapochill case. They are ugly but the temps and sound tests on those things are pretty impressive...along with the price

As long as you don't intend to overclock there are many silent PC periferals available that will make you PC as quiet as a wisper.
Vantec Stealth fans
Zalman CPU coolers
Zalman Power supplies
Zalman Passive Northbridge and graphics card coolers

Also lots of sites with good reviews and links to quiet PC products.
See here:

Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Maybe I passed over reading, but who makes the fans and cases for Dell and others.

Don't forget one of the best P4 heatsinks is the one bundled in the retail version. I'm speaking of the copper/aluminum job that is currently in use. Add a duct like the Chill Vent and you're in business.

Variable speed fans and controllers help quite a bit or you can just run the fans at +5vdc or +7vdc. Fast (and noisy) fans can be overkill. If you can do the job at +5v, it's worth the effort and you can't beat the price.

Skip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back