Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Build Dynamic Query SQL with Variables 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdegeorge

Programmer
Mar 19, 2002
US
Hi:

I have a table with the following fields:

tblUser
UserID, User, 2003_Days, 2004_Days (etc.)

I want to build a dynamic query so that I can select either [2003_Days] or [2004_Days] based on the year of an input date.

I'm trying something like:

tblUser."["&str(year([InputDate])&"_Days"][\color]

but get error messages.

I would appreciate any help with this!

Jim DeGeorge [wavey]

Try:

tblUser.[" & CStr(Year([InputDate])& "_Days]"

Create a empty query named myQRY

In a module, put this code

Public Sub DynamicQuery()
Dim strQuery as String, myValue as Date

On error goto error_handler ' I let you define it

MyValue = InputBox("Date ?")

mystr = "SELECT " & format(myValue,"yyyy") & "_Days FROM tblUser"

CurrentDb.QueryDefs("myQRY").SQL = myStr

End sub

... the query is updated

Hello Jim,

By the time I had figured this out you had already had some good responses but here it is anyway. I made a table with fields as you suggested:

UserID User 2003_Days 2004_Days
1 Jo 22 36
2 Bob 29 31
3 Tim 88 76

I then made the following parameter query:

SELECT tblUser.UserID, tblUser.User, IIf([Input Date]="2003","2003",IIf([Input Date]="2004","2004","Out of range")) AS [Year requested], IIf([Input Date]="2003",[tblUser]![2003_Days],IIf([Input Date]="2004",[tblUser]![2004_Days],"-")) AS Days
FROM tblUser;

When you run it, it asks for a year. If you enter 2003, it gives:

UserID User Year requested Days
1 Jo 2003 22
2 Bob 2003 29
3 Tim 2003 88

If you enter 2004, it gives:

1 Jo 2003 36
2 Bob 2003 31
3 Tim 2003 76

If you enter a year with no data (e.g. 1999) it gives:

1 Jo Out of range -
2 Bob Out of range -
3 Tim Out of range -

All the best

John Davy-Bowker
www.dbLetterWriter.com

Hey, guys!

Thanks for responding so quickly. Star for Rick39 because he gave me the missing link to get my code to work. Enjoy the star!

Here's my actual Module code:

Function PersonalSummary()

Dim dbs As Database
Dim rsTemp As Recordset
Dim strSQL As String

Set dbs = CurrentDb()
strSQL = "SELECT tblInput.UserID, tblInput.InputDate, tblInput.InputText, First([FirstName] & ' ' & [LastName]) AS Employee, tblAllotment.[" & CStr(Year(Date)) & "_Days] AS vAllotment "
strSQL = strSQL + "FROM (tblInput INNER JOIN tblUser ON tblInput.UserID = tblUser.UserID) "
strSQL = strSQL + "INNER JOIN tblAllotment ON tblInput.UserID = tblAllotment.UserID "
strSQL = strSQL + &quot;WHERE(((tblInput.UserID) <> 26 And (tblInput.UserID) <> 4)) &quot;
strSQL = strSQL + &quot;GROUP BY tblInput.UserID, tblInput.InputDate, tblInput.InputText, tblAllotment.[&quot; & CStr(Year(Date)) & &quot;_Days] &quot;
strSQL = strSQL + &quot;ORDER BY tblInput.UserID, tblInput.InputDate, tblInput.InputText;&quot;

Set rsTemp = dbs.OpenRecordset(strSQL)

Set rsTemp = Nothing
Set dbs = Nothing

End Function

Now I just have to work on getting the rsTemp values into my form. I tried setting the form's Record Source to &quot;=PersonalSummary()&quot; but that didn't work.

How do I do this part? This is very new to me. Thanks!

Jim DeGeorge [wavey]

You can't define recordsource = PersonnalSummary because there no value defined for PersonnalSummary()

... I don't really understand all your code, but if this recordset is necessary, you can define the form's recordet using Form.Recordset = rsTemp.Name while the recordset is still defined.
...Else, don't define this recordset and just define Form.Recordsource = strSQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back