Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bug Tracking Software... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sqlsamurai

Programmer
May 11, 2005
US
I was wondering what you all use in the way of bug tracking software. I know this is an IT forum but i am looking for a way to track support issues and solutions. It doesnt have to be a highly sophisticated program, or even IT centered, because i will be using it to track non-IT related issues.

It doesnt even have to be a software package that somebody wrote, any ideas would be helpful. What method do you use? Custom software, Excel, Journal in Outlook?

bugilla is more of one of the widly used ones. its not supper hard to install(on linux anyhow). if it(server machine) can get access to the web its even easier. just follow the instrustions that it comes with and its easy

Fog-Bugz is highly rated.

Chip H.

StarTeam is what we use. I like the way it integrates source control and Bug tracking. It isn't cheap, but has a ton of features many we are just starting to use here.

Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!
- Daffy Duck

If you need this for 'full' project use (including sharing defects in requirements, code etc with a project team) I'd recommend Mercury's TestDirector.

Its defect tracking is excellent. Generally speaking it's a test management tool. You can record your test requirements, build test scripts and assemble them into test scenarios. Defects found can be linked directly to the test that generated them.

hth

Cheers,
Dave

Probably the only Test Analyst Manager on Tek-Tips...therefore whatever it was that went wrong, I'm to blame...

animadverto vos in Abyssus!

Take a look at Forum1393!

We use Jira (jira.com will get you there). It's REALLY powerful. I don't know what it costs, as we get it free b/c we're a non-profit. But it's great.

We also just started using Confluence, their wiki tool, which evidently integrates well with Jira.

Jeremy

---
Jeremy Wallace
METRIX Lead Developer
Fund for the City of New York
http:// metrix . fcny . org

We developed BugSentry

1) The error reports are triggered automatically, so you don't have to rely on users.
2) The issues are hosted on our end, so you don't need to maintain your own bug tracking infrastructure.
3) Since they are hosted, you shouldn't be trusting us with the details of your defects. The BugSentry client library encrypts your issues with your public key. We never see the issue details.

We developed this for our custom software business and we found it made our lives a lot easier.

Check it out. There is a free trial.
Brian Begy
Chicago Data Solutions
BugSentry needs beta testers!

IBM's RATIONAL suite is also available.

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back