Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bug In Excel??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jksb

Technical User
Sep 27, 2000
US
I have set up a very simple workbook with 9 others linked to it, each with 31 pages. We are having several problems with it, the first of the two major being the autocalculation control has turned off on it's own a couple of times, and I know they were all turned on because of this happening over a week ago; the second major one is that all the entered data from the main sheet, which I know for a fact was there, disappeared.

Any advice would be appreciated...is it possible the PC can't handle Excel? It's a Pentium II, with plenty of memory left.

Thanks!

Jackie (looking forward to 5pm)

Okay! Five pm has come and gone about 6 hours ago for me. I've got a couple of questions/comments. Seems to me that there is no such thing as a "simple" workbook when it has NINE other workbooks linked to it, each with 31 pages (you mean sheets, right?). Autocalculation, to my knowledge, does not turn itself off and on. If it did, it's probably because it just cannot update all that stuff at one time. You say it's a PII, with plenty of memory left? What does "plenty of memory left" mean?

A PII these days is getting old (sorry, just the fax! I mean facts!) and anything less than 64MB RAM (double-click My Computer and hit Help-About windows and you'll see how much RAM you've got) is poor.

Open the file, hit File-Properties, General tab, jackie. Let me know the size of the file, k?

Let me know the amount of RAM you have and the % of remaining resources when you checked.

If you like, you can email me and I'll send you instructions for cleaning up the hard drive. You can include your spreadsheets (you'll have to send all the linked ones too) and I'll happily take a look at it. I've got a 666 with 128MB RAM.

If I don't hear from you, hope this helps!
techsupportgirl@home.com
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word

Thanks! Just got in..will get that info in a few!
Jackie

Okay, the Folder (which has all 10 files) is 70.5 MB. The PC is a Pentium Pro(R) (it comes up Pent II in the start up, I was told), with 128 RAM, 75% Free.

I would love the info on cleaning up the hard drive..but I do know about scan/defrag/empty temp. files. Is there more?

And do you still want me to send this folder as it's so big? I should let you know I don't seem to have this problem on my PC, a Pentium III.

Thanks!!!!

Jackie

Deleting temps confirmation:

*.tmp and ~*.* and *.chk files should be deleted.
c:\windows\temp should be emptied on Windows
c:\temp should be emptied on NT
scan then defrag

Problem: files too big. Why? That much data? You saving down?--don't if possible--increases file size a lot! Do they need to be cleaned? You good with shortcut keys? Test:

Pick one file that's big, not main file tho. Hit File-Properties and write down size. Select first completely blank column at right, hit shift-ctrl-right arrow to select through col IV. Hit Edit Delete (or Edit-Clear-All). Do the same from the first completely blank row at bottom. Hit shift-ctrl-down arrow to row 66,XXX whatever it is. Edit-Delete. Save file. What's the size now? If a lot less, do it to all files. Quick test: Click cell A1. Hit ctrl-end. Does cursor go far beyond data? Then file needs to be cleaned as directed above.

Let me know? I'm involved now! Haha!
techsupportgirl@home.com

Okay..cleaned up the files and got it down to 69.8MG. It is a PentII/4000, so should be able to handle this. Cleaned temp file, but don't know where the .chk and ~*>* files are.
I think the files are so big (a) because there is 755 items per worksheet x 31 worksheets x 10 workbooks; all linked in various ways (I really think the links are what's taking up the memory...each of the 9 workbooks is a warehouse, each with a totals page, and they are all linked to 10, which is the main report, which shows daily breakdowns and a main totals page).

I am trying to set this up in Access..have the tables, have the forms..my big brain dead is trying to figure out how to get it to do the calcs...do I use a query? In the form control itself? I need it to have a start inventory, add and subtract from the, and give me the total each time it's accessed (sorry for the pun:). For some reason I cannot *see* what to do with it...the Excel workbooks have become too cumbersome, but I'm not knowledgable enough in Acess yet to just throw it together.

And it still bugs me that computer is turning off autocalc...

Thanks!!!!

Jackie

Jackie: Send the workbooks home, send me copies--we'll do it this weekend!!

Actually, send me an email and I'll reply with some Access info that will help you make sense of a lot of it.

Give me an example of what each of these items are:

755 items per worksheet (755 stock numbers?)
31 worksheets (31 days of month?)
10 workbooks (1 for each warehouse?)
techsupportgirl@home.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back