Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Buffer Under Run when writting CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davin

Programmer
Sep 18, 2000
CA
I have been able to burns CD's up until just recently. I used to get the problem fairly often but I would just restart my computer and make sure that I didn't run any other programs before trying to write. Now, however it has stop writting altogether. Any ideas of what is causing my problem. I did a defrag just last week and I've deleted all the temp and recycle bin files as well as run regclean in order to get my computer up to optimal performance but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions?

This used to happen to me.

Have you tried Reinstalling the Drivers? Usually the most updated drivers have a fix to this. -----------------
MK

Everybody should use AntiVirus! Are you protected now?

Your CPU is most likely not keeping up to speed with CD writing. Make sure all unnecessary functions are stopped from running in the system tray before you start to write.

Download a little freeware program called "end it all" and/or another called "cacheman". Use the first program to shut down all unnecessary progams from running then start your burner program! The second program has a setting that is intended for cd burning, it resets your windows cache and other setting for optimal performance for burning. I've personally used both with no complaints and use to suffer from the same problem!

Where can I download End It All and Cacheman?

I tried both of them. Still no go. I think it must be the writer itself. I've tried reinstalling it defraging my hard drive and everthing else you could think of and nothing seems to work.

Perhaps you could look at another post (on page 3 of this forum) with similar problems. They discussed the proper setup of the drives in a hardware configuration. Please read these as they may be more helpful than the previous suggestions!

good luck

I looked at that post prior to starting this thread. I actually took the writer and my other cd drive out of my computer and reinstalled just the writer as the master but nothing works. I no it can't be because of how it is installed since it was working up until about a week ago. Thanks for the suggestions though.

I had the same problem with my writer...When I was making a copy it asked me if I wanted to "test and copy" or just "copy". When I chose test and copy...that's when I would get the error...now I just choose "copy" and I haven't had a problem. Guess it uses more reasources to do the test and copy. Hope your's is as simple. :)

I have the same problem and then a little more. First, are you using an HP USB external drive with a Dell Latitude notebook? If so, you need to know there is a know conflict with the USB port on the Dell machine which Dell will not fix -- there suggestion is that you buy a SCSI drive.

If yours in an internal drive in another machine, try using a write speed lower than optimum (i.e., if you have a 4X write drive, set your software to write at 2X). What's happening is that the CDR is running out of data while it is writing because the CPU is not moving the information fast enough. This setting should fix that.

Good luck!

I agree with the l;ast post. This happened to me once and when I slowed down the copy speed it has worked with no problems ever since.

I had the same problem... I tried knocking the speed way down, but that didn't seem to help. Finally I installed new burning software and it worked fine. I'm sure this was probably the result of a setting in the software, but I tried everything I could think of (short of throwing it out in the street--which was next)...

:)

Lack of data in the buffer... I´ve resolved that with two small steps... enable DMA on the HD and on the CDRW... maybee it wont work for you but it sure worked for me!

IBM DTLA307030 30Gb 7200rpm 2Mb cache (not partitioned)
LG 8x/4x/32x (???8080)

I´ll try an get some more tek info elsewhere to welp!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back