Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Btrieve required permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

drinkwaters

Programmer
Feb 25, 2004
CA
We are accessing a Pervasive SQL 7.0 database using BTRVID calls from IIS with ASP. The ASP calls a VB dll that issues the BTRVID. Everything works fine - except that I must give explicit permissions to the database file directory (which is on another server in the domain - the web server is not part of the domain) or else I get Status 94 errors. I would like to avoid this - I know that when using the SQL relational engine no explict permissions have to be given to login to the database - is there something similar on btrieve side ? If not, what is the most secure way that I could set up the permissions from the web server to the data server ?

With Pervasive.SQL 7.0 and the Btrieve API, you must give explicit permissions. Btrieve does not have the concept of databases or logins and uses the Operating System for permissions to the file.
WIth Pervasive.SQL V8.5 (Security release), this has changed. Now Btrieve and SQL can use the same security model and Btrieve can be told to "login" to a database using database security and eliminating the need for explicit permissions on the files.

info@mirtheil.com
Custom VB and Btrieve development.
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

Thanks for the response !

Upgrading to v8 is not possible at the moment.
Do you know of any safe way (as safe as possible given that I must give file permissions) to allow access to the files from the web server ?

Is the data being changed? If not, then give only read only rights to the user. If so, then you're just going to have to give them enough rights to do what needs to be done.

info@mirtheil.com
Custom VB and Btrieve development.
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

It's read and write - i have been doing some tests today with the MapNetworkDrive of the WScript component (without actually mapping a drive but passing the server\share and user & password of an account on the domain that has change permissions only in the data directory). This seems to work - no more 94's and from the web server no one can access the data server since the MapNetworkDrive is being done within the context of IIS. I hope this is secure enough and the network admins won't flip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back