Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

btrieve on win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

chowa

Technical User
Jun 10, 2011
US
i have a friend that has an application on win98 called SHOPTRAC that is over 10 years old. it was on a pc that was powered off, now there is an error 42 on on of the job.dat files. i'm a retired mainframe programmer with no experience on pc databases. can any one tell me how to proceed?

The 42 means:
42: A file previously opened in Accelerated mode was not closed
This status code is obsolete in MicroKernel versions 6.0 and later.
The MicroKernel returns this status code for the following reasons:
• Either the application tried to open a v5.x data file that was previously accessed in Accelerated mode by a v5.x MicroKernel and never successfully closed, or the application tried to open a file for which a v6.0 or later MicroKernel encountered an unrecoverable error during a Set or Clear Owner operation. The file integrity cannot be ensured. Refer to Advanced Operations Guide for information about recovering damaged files.
• Your application tried to open a file in MicroKernel v5.x format using a v5.x MicroKernel; however, that same file was previously accessed by a v6.0 or later MicroKernel, which failed to close the file successfully and left a pre-image file on the disk. Version 5.x MicroKernels cannot read pre-image files created in v6.0 or later format.
Documentation from [URL unfurl="true"]http://docs.pervasive.com/products/database/psqlv11/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=codes/1statcod.1.5.html[/url].

You might look for any .PRE files in the directory where the data files are located. If you find them, stop the application, stop the Btrieve engine, and delete the PRE files. Then restart the application (and Btrieve). That might help.

Mirtheil
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back