Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Btrieve Locking

Status
Not open for further replies.

senorbuckwheat

Programmer
Jul 12, 2002
US
I am running an application against a Btrieve database. The application does inserting/deleting/modifying of records in the database. It runs fine when I have exclusive use of the database. But, if someone else is using one the database, the application sometimes locks up.

What would I need to prevent this problem?

Thank you.

Hi

Can u tell me what version of Btrv , my gues is 6.15. Now comes the second query. Do u use a workstation edition of brv or server edition. The server edition runs only on win nt where as workstation edition can run on both win 95/9x/nt workstation and also on nt server.

If u are using the workstation engine then u need to set it up to give access to more than one users at a time.

Carry out this process after ensuring that no users are accessing the application or database

To do this execute The BTI Database setup utility ( the executable is w32mkset.exe). Once u bring this up to to

1. Local File Sharing and set it to Muti Engine.
2. Remote File Sharing and set it to Muti Engine.

Both these entries are part of MKDE (Workstation Edition) > File Settings. One u have done this apply the same and exit. Now go to the windows task manager and terminate the btrv workstation engine (W32MKDE.EXE).

The above setting applies when u have u'r application runs a windows network using the btrv 6.15 workstation engine.

Please get back to me in case of further queries

Warm Regards
Vineeth Shetty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back