Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Btrieve Error 35

Status
Not open for further replies.

medmed

IS-IT--Management
Mar 12, 2005
CH
Hello

my company is using a very very old dos-base system which runs on a pervasive sql database. Now i have to provide dataexports for migration into a new system.

On the DB-Server itself i've tried whithin the "Pervasive SQL Control Center" to use the export function. I can see all tables but can only export a few o them.

Following error occurs:
Syntax Error: SELECT COUNT(*) FROM 071<<???>>KOSTENSTELLEN
Whereas the tables name is "071 Kostenstellen"

If i try to open this table, following error occurs:
ODBC Error: SQLSTATE = S1000, Native error code = 0
Unable to open table: 071 Kostenstellen.
The Btrieve file directory is invalid(Btrieve Error 35)

I have no idea??
Has anybody a clue why i can access only a few tables in this DB? The application itself is runing and used by its clients daily!

Any hint would be very appreciate
med

What type of server, Netware or windows?

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"What version of URGENT!!! are you using?

Hi,

it's a windows server 2003.

I've also just recognized, that all tables which cannot be accessed, have another (wrong) "Table Location" than the once which work.

But i do not understand from where this information come from and why the clients are able to work with it.

thanks
med

The "Table Location" value is stored in the X$FILE table (in XF$LOC). You cannot directly edit the X$FILE (or any "X$" table) through the PCC or Function Executor. You can change the value of the Table Location in the PCC to match where the data files are located or you can move the data files to match the Table Location. There are also third party tools that can remove path information from the XF$LOC like my DDF Path Fixer (

Mirtheil
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

When i move the data files or change the data path, can clients still work with it? This is the productive environment and must be available all the time.

How manage the clients by now to access those data in this tables?

Many Thanks

When i move the data files or change the data path, can clients still work with it? This is the productive environment and must be available all the time.
That's going to depend on the application. If the application can be configured to open files in different locations, then it should be possible. Then again, if the application is using the DDFs to find the data files, then changing the location of the data files to match the DDFs will work.

Mirtheil

Actually I don't know how the application is going to access those files.

Is there an other possibility to export Data from those tables without changing anything on the current configuration? I know where the data files are but I cannot access them whith PCC.

Thanks

If you can't access them with PCC, then you probably won't be able to get to the data using ODBC, OLEDB, or any other Pervasive Relational method.

You might be able to use Btrieve API but that would require you to know the exact record structure.

Mirtheil

Ok, so if I am right, the access method from the clients and the one from the PCC has nothing to do whitch each other, right?

So, then I could try to copy those data files to the directory, which is given in the table property within PCC. Just tu be sure that nothing is gonna change for client application.

Thanks very much!

Now, i get all the property informations but still the same errors on open or export...???

This may be related to a situation I recently encountered when upgrading to V10 from V8. There is a configuration checkbox regarding whether or not embedded spaces are allowed in filenames. I can see that your generated Select statement in the PCC is choking on the embedded space. You may try editing the select statement and enclosing the file name in quotes before executing it. I ran into the problem with an executable using the Windows Client Btrieve API to access my data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back