Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BTrieve and .NET

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanglam

Programmer
Dec 11, 2002
US
Hi,

One of the applications I'm working on uses a Pervasive(Btrieve) database. I downloaded the Pervasive .NET OLDE drivers and I'm able to make a connection to the Pervasive in my .NET application, but I find that the queries, especially joins , other complex queries and larger return datasets are extremely slow.

Is this a problem with pervasive drivers or is this the way Pervasive behaves when trying to access thru OLE drivers ?

Thanks,
Scott

In my experience accessing pervasive via SQL is slow compared to SQL Server or Oracle. I found that Left Joins where much quicker to process than Inner Joins.

One thing to make sure of is that your database is consistent. Any problem in the definition of the DDFs could cause problems. Make sure you're queries are optimized and using indexes whenever possible. Also, don't try to return too many records. I saw one web app that was trying to return 40,000 records when they only needed 20-30.

Mirtheil
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician
Custom VB and Btrieve development.

I noticed the same problems, my problem is I'm forced to retrieve large amount of records for a monthly report .
I ended up doing was transfer the data from Pervasive to my SQL server via DTS and then use SQL Server to do the processing work for me .

Hang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back