Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Btrieve 6.16 Requester 6.15.1 on Novell 5.01 and Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

hppygo

IS-IT--Management
Mar 25, 2005
US
I have a Hospitality accounting system running on a Novell server ver 5.01, Btrieve Database engine V6.15.1 and requster 6.16. All works well with Win 95 and Win 98 workstations, but won't work on a Win XP workstation. My vender says I need to upgrade to pervasive. My knowlege of this is minimal, any thoughts or suggestion on how to make this work without spending $$$ on upgrading?

Ken

I'm guessing that the accounting system is Solomon. Is that correct? If so, then you won't be able to upgrad versions of Btrieve/Pervasive. This is because Solomon used the Scalable SQL interface which went unsupported in Pervasive.SQL V7. There have been 3 major versions since (2000, V8, and now V9).
If the application really uses Btrieve, then you should be able to upgrade and I would strongly suggest upgrading because Btrieve 6.15 was last updated in 1996, almost 10 years ago, before even Win98 (not to mention Win2k, WinXP, Win2k3) was available.
That being said, if you won't upgrade, what error are you getting, what kind of application (DOS, WIn16, Win32, OS/2), and what have you tried?

Mirtheil
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician
Custom VB and Btrieve development.

The accounting system is Coconut Code out or Palm Beach FL.

The vendor states we need pervasive to make it work ($1000).

My accounting dept has 3 workstations that that run either WIn 95 or Win 98, I will be upgrading to Quickbooks sometime in the near future so I was looking for a cheap solution until then. All of my historical data goes bye bye. My vendor states I can move the database to a single WIN XP workstation if not networked to be able to access my historical data.

The error message:
Error: 70 Line: 900 Program: CCI

DOS Error Code: 0000

Permission Denied

An attempt was made to:
* write to a write protected disk
* Open a non-sharable file

Any help would be appreciated, including a method to run the app in a protected DOS mode under WIN XP

Ken

Any new sugggestions would be appreciated,
Thanks, Ken

If you do not exceed 5 users you can purchase the workgroup edition of Pervasive V8 and it is not to expensive less than 100. per user. That would probably get you by.

If you need to export the data you can take a look at Btsearch at

Gil

What happens if you go over 5 connections. We are running pervasive 7.9 32 bit client and have a file on the server we access. Under win98 it works great but since going to XP we see that the connection to the file stays open. Once we reach 5 users no one else can get in. Is this a btrieve limitation. Can we change a parameter. Btrieve is running locally on the workstation.

Pervasive set the limitation to 5 users for the workgroup edition. In reality it could handle more but they have it set at that point and once you exceed it you must go to the server version.

Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back