Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Btrieve 5.10a / XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

gammonoid

MIS
Nov 14, 2008
US
I am using a btrieve application on a Windows XP Pro computer. This application works fine on some XP machines but not on others.

I am getting an "Error Loading Btrieve Files" message when I try to launch the application.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Considering that Btrieve v5.10a was released around 1991, I think, I'm surprised it works at all.
Is this the DOS of the Win15 version?
is there any number associated with the error? Btrieve only returns numeric status codes (2,12,20,etc). It doesn't return text messages.

Mirtheil
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

It is the 5.10a DOS version

I have attached a screen shot of the error message. No numeric value is assigned to the error and it is strictly a text message. Btrieve is launched from a script in a .bat file. A mirror image of the files work fine on our Novell Network as well as on our DOS machine. As soon as I try to run it on an XP Pro machine I get the error message.

Thanks for your help.

Well, you've got two versions installed and one of those versions is overstepping the other. You can either modify the CONFIG.NT to remove the PSQL driver and then use Btrieve v5.10 or you can change the batch file to not load BTRIEVE.EXE.

Mirtheil

I will give it a shot, thank you. I also tried upgrading to 6.15 and got other conflicts. It doesn't make sense that it will work on some machines and not on others. My personal workstation just got wiped and has a clean load of XP Pro on it, so I don't know how multiple versions could be running. I'll try what you said and get back to you. Thanks again.

Thanks for the tip above. I had loaded the Pervasive client after I was already having this problem, so what you said was true, but wasn't the original problem

It looks as though the DOS application I am running has a 16-bit ODBC, whereas the version of XP I am using as an OS is running 32-bit ODBC. Any simple solutions???

DOS applications typically didn't access ODBC. I would guess though that a 16 bit ODBC is still possible on XP. I haven't tried it.
Because it looks like you've got BUTIL, you might try using it to see if it can access the data files. For example, you can issue a STAT command and it will display information about the Btrieve file. For example:
BUTIL.EXE -STAT <file>
where <file> is the name and path to a Btrieve file.
Not knowing your application, I can't tell you what the filenames are but sometimes they have DTA, BTR, DAT, or MKD extensions. You might look for DDF files (FILE.DDF, FIELD.DDF, INDEX.DDF) as well.

The steps I would suggest would be:
1. start a command prompt.
2. change to the gsoe directory.
3. run Btrieve.exe using the same parameters as the batch file.
4. issue the BUTIL.EXE -STAT command (specifying a Btrieve file).
5. Post any results or error codes.

Mirtheil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back