Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BTI (Battery Holder) Clip broken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 7, 2003
US
On a computer that I am working on, I am getting the CMOS checksum not valid (I am paraphrasing). Press esc to accept the defaults.

When I checked the computer to put in a new battery, I noticed that the battery is gone, and the top clip for the BTI is missing. Is this something that can be replaced (I have never looked into this before), or does the motherboard need to be replaced.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

You could pull a holder from a bad motherboard or buy a replacement from a supplier (digikey, possibly) and replace it. Or do any number of special things to get a 3v lithium cell's connectors attached to the 2 posts.
This is where you innovation will save some money.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Seems such a waste to renew the mainboard just because of a broken clip.
I would be thinking about maybe a small battery holder and a couple of AA Alkalines, improvised by soldering onto the button battery terminals?
Maybe use a cable tie to secure the holder.
Fresh Alkalines should last 3/4years, these battery holders can be purchased from Tandy/Maplins or similar.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

I even have a couple of batteries (from an old 486) that comes as a"pack" with velcro to mount to the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back