Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BT Homehub6 on PlusNet

Status
Not open for further replies.

BionicJohn

Technical User
Nov 6, 2002
GB
I suspect this is a question for UK members only.

I am using a BT Homehub 6 on my PlusNet internet account. The supplied PlusNet router is essentially a Homehub5, and PlusNet is a no-frills BT service, otherwise they are separate businesses.

The BT HH6 works really well on all fronts - 5GHz, 2.4GHz and Ethernet. My problem is that BT's open access "BT Wi-fi" channel is still visible.

My questions are:

Is this "BT Wi-fi" channel live and active?

Can BT Internet users log in to it?

As I am not a BT Internet customer, how can I check?

As I believe it can only be disabled by the registered BT user of the BT HH6 / telephone line, are there any other ways to disable it?

Any insights welcome.

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Are you sure that it's not another BT user nearby?

According to this thread on the PlusNet forums, PlusNet-supplied Home Hub 6's for residential use don't have the BT WiFi FON capability, only the business versions.

It might be an idea to follow-up your query over on the PlusNet forums - presumably more specific knowledge than this generic help site.

Hope this helps...

Thanks for replying.

I'm sure the BT Wi-fi is from the HH6. This is what WiFi Analyser shows when I'm right by the HH6.

Screenshot_20201017-121403_c79rt7.png

I have a residential BT HH6, from when I was a BT customer. They never asked for it back when I switched to PlusNet.

bthomehub6_gxnd81.jpg

However asking in the PlusNet Community Forum is a good idea. Cheers!

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back