Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bsod when downgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.

siscokid1

MIS
Feb 20, 2003
US

Greetings,

Trying to downgrade daughters pc from Vista to XP, receive BSOD saying either update BIOS etc or disable shadowing or caching

Not sure where shadowing or caching is.

attempting to update BIos, any help appreciated.

It's also a setting in the bios. What is the stop code?

There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues.
source: Aumha.org

e.g.:

You receive a stop error 0x7E in Pci.sys

I have a feeling that XP is trying to use a driver that was not meant for a particular hardware device...

I would suggest, that you 1.) Slipstream SP3 and 2.) add all hardware drivers for that particular PC...

I can only recommend the following program for the integration of SP3 and drivers...

nLite

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Yeah - those 7E BSODs are a real pain sometimes.

I'd check the memory just for kicks, but it IS likely a driver.

If XP was already 100% loaded, you could boot to a bootable CD and copy a known good PCI.SYS to the failing system and see if that made a difference.

Failing that, you have to start from scratch with a known good CD of XP with SP3 as mentioned.

ok....I've never slipstreamed before, but I'll try....gtg drivers from Compaq .....let u know

Thanks

I tried making a slipstream 2 no avail :-(......it doesn't even recognize the disk ....it is an ISO tho..I knew I h8 compaqs 4 a reason

There are a lot of different directions on how to slipstream, I like the directions on this site.

Easy to follow, and all of the tools are free to try or use.

What do you mean it's an iso? if you look at the cd in explorer? if it is an iso it needs to be burned as an image, or it won't work.

If you use a SATA hard disk it could be something to do with how your SATA controller is configured in the BIOS. If I remember correctly AHCI mode is only compatible with Vista or later - for XP you need it set to IDE mode (it may be labelled as something else such as legacy or PATA mode).

If that's the problem then you won't need to slipstream SP3, you can just use your existing CD.

Regards

Nelviticus

There is Pata controller and sata1 controller, which the only option is enabled/disabled, I do not see an option for stopping caching or shadowing

..yeahhh..that didn't work..tried making disk, did not boot, came up to d prompt.....do not see AHCI in Bios

well...I'm loading Winders 7 (eval) on the sucka now, so I think this will be much better

Thanks for your help

@Nelveticus - AHCI will work also for XP, though it will not speed up anything, and you need a driver floppy (or integrated) for it to work...

@siscokid1 - with 7, you will not be disappointed, it is just as fast or even faster than XP, good choice...

though Slipstreaming is straight forward, there is an option in nLite to create an ISO file, which you then burn using an imagae burning software of your choice...

Good luck and have fun with 7...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back