Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BSOD on XP Pro reinstall...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Youlanda

Technical User
Oct 19, 2002
US
Hey ya,

My computer has been having a lot of problems and I think it is about time to just format c:\ and start again.

So I pop in my Windows XP cd and tell it to install. I go through the process and eventually the computer tells me it can't find any mass storage devices. I hit enter to continue (because it worked when I had to use the recovery tool from the xp cd earlier today) and I wind up with a BSoD and the usual blurb that goes along with it:

STOP 0x0000007b (0xf89856c, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x0000000)

I think the problem may be that my drives are running on some loony on motherboard raid setting.

System Stats:
Windows XP Po build 2600
Processor: 1000mhz AMD Athlon
Drives: two (2) drives identified as this via the "Belarc advisor" program: IC35L049 AVER07-0 SCSI Disk Device (41.17GB).
Motherboard is.. I believe: ABIT KT7 RAID

I just want to format c:\ and reinstall a totally new installation.

I'm asking here in hopes that someone will know and save me the time/money of going down to the local computer repair place and saying "you fix it" and blowing a couple hundred bucks.

Thankya.

My guess is that the drive controller requires a driver that needs to be given on a floppy diskette during installation. XP will prompt you to hit F6 if there are any SCSI or RAID drivers required for installation. Without the needed drivers, XP finds the disk inaccessible.

See this site for further discussion and links to MS KB articles on your stop 7b error:
This seems likely as an explanation because the second error value for you is not zero (0xc0000034), and a pure hard disk error would most likely find a set of 0's in this second position.

See the website for the motherboard manufacturer to see if you can download and unpack any needed system drivers to use during reinstallation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back