Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BSOD during XP Pro setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustinTech

Technical User
Sep 13, 2002
US
I have a reliable, until now, desktop. The chipset fan went out and it took me a little bit until I opened the case and found it dead. It had random BSODs which I dutifully recorded, usually. I wonder if something went wrong with the motherboard/chipset because of this.

I have basic components installed for setup and to eliminate things. 1 hard drive, 2 optical drives, dual-video agp card, ethernet card, ps2 mouse, usb keyboard, 1 monitor

I replaced the chipset fan. I couldn't get the previously-working XP installation to boot. It would have BSOD in normal and safe mode; not the same error.

So, I put in the Win XP Pro installation CD and boot to identify the Windows installation. Before I press Esc to go to do a delete partition this BSOD appears. It has happened 3 times.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL stop error
STOP: 0X000000D1 (0X00000014, 0X00000002, 0X00000000, 0XF732F960)
USBPORT SYS ? Address F732F960 F7327000 ? DateStamp

Any ideas? I appreciate the help.
...Lamar

check bios for usb legacy support enabed
get a ps/2 keyboard and try setup with that

M. Knorr

MCSE, MCTS, MCSA, CCNA

What Service Pack of XP are you trying to boot?

You may want to consider slipstreaming SP2 into your install CD.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

You mean SP3 slipstreamed install - why waste time installing SP3 later when you can do it all in one blow.

I wouldn't be caught installing anything BUT an SP3 integrated XP install at this point.

Some info:

0x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile.
Source: aumha.org

“STOP:0xD1” Error Message When You Start Your Win XP-Based Computer

STOP 0xD1 error message when you start your Win XP-based computer
Win XP (ACPI issue, a Hotfix is available)

Error Message with RAM Problems or Damaged Virtual Memory Manager

Stop 0x000000D1 Error Message When You Turn Your Computer Off
Win XP (with USB device(s) connected)

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

Thanx. I took out everything extra and got down to 1 RAM stick. I also went to a ps2 kybd and mouse. Rebuilt it with all except 2 sticks of RAM that I have to plug and test to keep 1. I verified with both sticks installed that random errors happen in Windows.

I confirmed the onboard USB is dead; turned it off in BIOS. Makes me curious wondering how memory and onboard USB controller went bad at the same time. Luckily I had a pci card for more USB ports already in it.

BUT now I had a BSOD during the process of reinstalling software and copying data between drives.
STOP: 0x0000008E (xxx)
Win32k.sys - Address ...

I'm going to look this up now.
If someone has ideas... I sure do appreciate this site.

0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).
source: aumha.org

“STOP 0x0000008e” Error Message During Windows XP Setup {KB 315335} Win XP

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

I must not have explained it well enough. The original error for this post was a BSOD during setup. Removing RAM and using ps2 input devices solved that. This last error happened just while doing all the updates and installing software. I found a different MS KB that sort of applies. I think at this point, if I don't see another BSOD for a couple of days I'll call it good.

Thanx for the help

hope its ok, but personally I'd have junked the mobo (would have had no faith in it after that - and dying mobo's can take other hardware with them).

I would double-check the disc...try copying it with Nero and verifying the copy. Windows CDs are notorious for not holding up well. Sometimes, I just copy the CD and load the copy to solve loading errors.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back