Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BSOD and LVCM.sys 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stduc

Programmer
Nov 26, 2002
GB
I'm not sure anyone can help here. But while trying to sort out a friends webcam woes I have acquired my own! (see this thread)

This PC has been good as gold for ages.
But .... I have been fiddling with my cam & sound settings.
I really can't think of anything else it can be as I had no problems until yesterday afternoon - when BSOD!

Dump analysis shows.

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x7f_0

TRAP_FRAME: f72cec10 -- (.trap fffffffff72cec10)
ErrCode = 00000000
eax=00000000 ebx=f85d06a0 ecx=00000000 edx=00000000 esi=f85d3248 edi=f85d07cc
eip=eb7e57d7 esp=f72cec84 ebp=f72cecac iopl=0 nv up ei ng nz na po nc
cs=0008 ss=0010 ds=0023 es=0023 fs=0030 gs=0000 efl=00210286
LVCM+0x27d7:
eb7e57d7 f7f9 idiv ecx
Resetting default scope

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from eb7ed730 to eb7e57d7

STACK_TEXT:
WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.
f72cecac eb7ed730 00000000 00001d46 f85d0324 LVCM+0x27d7
f72cecd8 eb7e8495 00001869 00000000 00001d46 LVCM+0xa730
f72ced00 eb7eddbd f85d0324 00038400 f85d057c LVCM+0x5495
f72ced74 e0ba826b f85d0604 00000000 f95bc8b8 LVCM+0xadbd
f72cedac e0c410f1 f85d0604 00000000 00000000 nt!ExpWorkerThread+0x100
f72ceddc e0bbc27a e0ba8196 00000001 00000000 nt!PspSystemThreadStartup+0x34
00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 nt!KiThreadStartup+0x16

FOLLOWUP_IP:
LVCM+27d7
eb7e57d7 f7f9 idiv ecx

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX: 0

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

SYMBOL_NAME: LVCM+27d7

MODULE_NAME: LVCM

IMAGE_NAME: LVCM.sys

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 40aeb7ed

STACK_COMMAND: .trap fffffffff72cec10 ; kb

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x7f_0_LVCM+27d7

BUCKET_ID: 0x7f_0_LVCM+27d7

I accept that I will have to figure out what I changed in my webcams and audio driver settings.

My questions are these.

1. Why did my PC re-boot when I have it set not to re-boot after a BSOD?
2. Why did I get a full dump and a minidump, or is that normal if you have asked for a full dump?
3. If I return to a suitable restore point will that reset the cam/audio & anything else I may have fiddled with settings wise back to the time the restore point was taken?

[navy]When I married "Miss Right" I didn't realise her first name was 'always'. LOL[/navy]

1. At a guess this may happen when the fault occurs early on in the boot process and the Registry setting has not been loaded? Did you try the Safe Mode boot screen option to not Automatically Restart if it is a boot up problem?

2. Don't know, perhaps same as 1?

3. If the Restore is successful, yes this should return things to how they were. If it is not successful, try it from Safe Mode. Is Driver Rollback also an option?

Assuming the BSOD is 0x0000007f then these might help, apologies if it isn't.

General causes of "STOP 0x0000007F" errors

You receive a "Stop 0x0000007F" error message or your computer unexpectedly restarts

Driver rollback would be pointless I think as the same driver has been fine for over a year. An updated driver might be a good idea, but if I right click the webcam icon in the notification area it reports "no update available"

If, however, I visit logitech's download pages I think I can see an updated driver. The reason I say think, is because in device manager the webcam is named "Logitech Quickcam Messenger #2". On the other hand the best match I can find on the driver download page is "QuickCam® Messenger"
Title: QuickCam v11.5
Software Version: 11.5
Post Date: 10/29/2007
Platform: Windows XP

My current driver details are:-
Driver Date 21/05/2005 Version 8.30.1096

When I ask, will a return to a restore point reverse all the fiddling I did? I mean will it reverse things like "low light boost" and "noise suppression" etc - because I can't recall what the settings were 2 days ago!

Regarding the auto re-boot, it only crashes about 10 minutes into the video call. The BSOD is flashed up for about 2 seconds and then the PC reboots normally. Startup & Recovery is set as follows.

Write an event to the system log - ticked
Send an administrative alert - ticked
Automatically restart - UNticked
Complete memory dump
%SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP
Overwrite any existing file - ticked

So, for now I'm contemplating whether my first step should be to go back to a restore point or try updating the driver. I can't do anything about it until tomorrow anyway. I'll run a memtest86 check as well just in case RAM is going bad.

Thoughts anyone?

[navy]When I married "Miss Right" I didn't realise her first name was 'always'. LOL[/navy]

Regarding the auto re-boot, it only crashes about 10 minutes into the video call. The BSOD is flashed up for about 2 seconds and then the PC reboots normally. Startup & Recovery is set as follows.
any GFX card driver updates lately? what about codecs?

I would update CODECS and GFX Card Drivers, just to be sure...

and run Sherlock the codec detective, as it will tell you if certain codecs are correctly installed or corrupted...

cuz, 10 min into a video call, does not sound like a driver problem, but maybe a codec or mem problem...

aside of Linney's links take a look at this one aswell...

A computer that is running Terminal Services stops responding and you receive an error message in Windows 2000 or in Windows XP: "Stop Error 0x7F"

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Logitech Quickcam Messenger #2"

Perhaps this means there is some duplication of your hardware either in the Registry or Device Manager? You could look in the Device Manager, perhaps from Safe Mode, and have it show all hidden devices just to see if there are a couple of entries for the Webcam.

I'm not sure about specific program settings and System Restore, I would think that if the settings were stored in the Registry or a file monitored by System Restore, then yes they may be reverted. I guess it just depends on where and how Logitech save those settings.

Microsoft Windows XP System Restore
Bobbie Harder
Microsoft Corporation

I solved the problem on my PC by making the following changes.
AC97 Audio Config
changed from S/PDIF-Out from 48 Hz to 44.1Hz
Turned off Noise Suppression

Cam settings
reset defaults
Set white balance back to auto
set anti flicker to 50Hz

No more BSOD's but which setting was critical? I have no idea, nor the inclination to find out. For no logical reason I suspect one of the two sound settings.

Checking out hidden devices I found another problem. So I have opened another thread here because i learnt I have several devices installed I no longer have and it would be nice to uninstall them.

LVCM.sys is a Logitech driver. I had a similar problem some months ago when I tried to install a QuickCam Communicate STX in XP SP2 64 bit - the drivers destroyed my OS installation and I was not able to recover (had to reinstall XP).

From what I remember during my research on the problem, the problem is in the rather aggressive and non-polished enough audio drivers of the cam which conflicted with my onboard HD Audio which also has flaky drivers. IIRC, the specific issue was a conflict of the Logitech audio driver features with the mic noise cancellation features of HD Audio, so I would say that the critical setting for you was 'Noise Suppression'. The video settings in principle should not be blamed.

From my experience, in complicated settings where more than one audio hardware is needed (e.g. webcam use), one should disable onboard sound altogether and get a good (over $100) separate PCI audio card (not USB! - this is risky in combination with a webcam), which in most cases has properly written drivers and offers better flexibility (namely independence from Windows Audio Mixer and no internal resampling of everything to 48 kHz).

Mits07 I tend to agree with you - I think my logitech webcam is about to get an eBay listing LOL.

Stduc, I can tell you from experience, get rid of that cam asap. I have one myself, gray and white cam. Its a nightmare. I love logitech, but that spefic cam is a nightmare

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back