Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BSOD after IBM serveraid updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

bludbunny

IS-IT--Management
Jul 2, 2002
AU
Hi guys

we have just completed a range of updates on a problem server at my new job. The server has been dropping drives / rebooting due to raid errors, and a support call to IBM has requested that we update 6 major updates to bring it all up to stratch.
Before the update, one of the drives was actually listing as critical, so we placed in another drive as a hot spare.
We have updated in order the following to the latest:
1. Serveraid device driver
2. system bios
3. BMC
4. Serveraid bios/firmware
5. backplane
6. hdd firmware on all drives on system
After each update the machine was rebooted.
When attempting to boot to windows 2003 server again, just before the login dialog comes up(after applying computer settings) the server blue screens with:
STOP
0x000000f4 (0x00000003, 0xa534bb80, 0xa534bce4, 0x8094c6e6)

Server will boot into safe mode.
Note that the "fresh" drive we put in was still rebuilding - i am currently waiting for it to finish.

If this fails does anyone have any other ideas?
The server is an x3650 type 7979.

cheers,
Brett

Hi there

Thanks for the response - had already dug through a mountain of microsoft support info.
It turned out (at this stage) to be the defunct drive causing the issue. After the RAID array was back in one piece and rebuilt with a hot spare, the defunct drive was physically removed from the server, which then started working fine.

So all good!
cheers,
Brett

Defunct drives will cause CRAZY errors in those IBM boxes, especially with the LSI onboard RAID controllers. Did you go into RAID BIOS to see the defunct drive? Did you notice that it gave you no option to make it the secondary drive in a mirror (unless it is in a RAID 5)---had one this past weekend that had a defunct drive that would let me pick the good drive as the primary but would not let me pick the defunct drive as the secondary. Replaced the drive, set it as secondary, and told it to resynch, and all was good.

Burt

Sorry about the delay on this (lost my tektips account details!)
We have this one sorted now - the problem was due to a motherboard hardware issue. The mobo was replaced, all is good (after my work buddy spent 5 hours reconfiguring network adapters etc)

Thanks for the replies.
Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back