Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BSCI OSPF question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zinkann

ISP
Jan 8, 2008
US
Does anyone know where i can find a list of OSPF Area Types with their route types? I have some test prep questions that is asking to match up the route entry symbols to the correct area type. ex:STUB O, O IA, 0*IA, Totally Stubby 0, 0*IA, NSSA O, O IA, 0 N2, O*N2. I can't find any of this information in my BSCI self study book, BSCI test prep book, or anywhere online. I want to completely understand the question rather than memorizing answers.

CCNA, Network+

I'm using the 642-901 self study, 642-901 cert guide, and testing software as well as extra routers and l3 switches i have at work.

CCNA, Network+

I passed that test years ago, OSPF hasn't changed too much since then. At least OSPFv2. I imagine you are seeing some sort of questions on OSPFv3 as well?

When I took the test as well as almost every other Cisco test, I used the Cisco Press exam certification guide for the subject I was studying. I always foudn those to be pretty close to the exam blue prints. I think you are going about studying the right way. I do have those exact tables you are looking for but unfortunately I can't just gve them to you because I would be violating agreements we have with Cisco.

Never the less, the link I provided has way more information than you will ever be tested for on that exam. One other book you may find of use, and definitely will if you ever want to take your studying further beyond the CCNP is "Routing Protocols TCP/IP Volumes 1 & 2" They both go into much more detail on Internal and External Gateway Routing protocols than other Ciscobooks.

i understand. I was just looking for the tables. It's weird that i can't find them anywhere but the questions are in practice tests. I'm using the new 901 self study and the cisco press cert guide. I'll figure it out. I think i can put it together by looking at example routing tables for the area types. thanks. BTW The link is useful, but i was looking for those tables.

CCNA, Network+

BTW, When you say "agreements", do you mean your company's cisco login? I'll login and look around on the site.

CCNA, Network+

Basshead, I think I know the problem you are running into. What I did to really figure it all out, was build my own lab network with a couple of routers and built each type of OSPF area, then compared the routing tables. It didn't really give a table to memorize, but did give a good understanding of how each router area looks in the routing table.

i have a Boson simulator a bought a couple years ago. i'm going to fire that up. I have all kinds of l3 switches and a few routers i can configure but can't set up a lab for NBMA or anything WAN protocols for NSSA.

CCNA, Network+

I'd be surprised if you can't do some of it even with L3 switches. I did all my OSPF labs with just 3 routers and doing point to point links. Might have to get creative to use switches instead.

Should be able to get it out of Boson though.

Agreements such that I have access to every Cisco book and Study guide that must be purchased by Joe Shmoe off the street. I also have access to every presentation at Networkers for the past several years. It's through our Cisco Advanced Services contract through a product called Technical Knowledge Library. I am forbidden to pull the copyrighted information off there and disperse it to the general public. Does that answer your question?

Thats pretty cool Belushi. I'm not asking you to disperse it...

Thats what i am mainly using, 3560's. They run OSPF just fine. Of course i can't do any WAN stuff.

CCNA, Network+

There was someone in here that always had acronyms for all the exam stuff...

Burt

Burt, I hope you aren't thinking of me....I can't find my little cheat sheets that I used to use for the exams now. I did however find the page that I practiced writing out before I started the exam. Couple of the things listed are:
OSPF:
Down
Init
2-way
Exstart
Exchange
Full

LSA:
1. Net
2. Router
3. ABR Sum = blocked in TSA
4. ASBR Sum = blocked in TSA
5. ASBR Ext Summary = blocked in stub
7. NSSA

nice one....thanks.

I am currently using Bryant Advantage now. Anyone ever used his videos? SLLOOOW thorough!

CCNA, Network+

I have the Bryant Advantage "Ultimate CCNA Guide" and the CBTNuggets CCNA video series.. Planned on buying the CCNP but looks like it will be the CCDA next...

So far I've been real impressed by the BA. I thought CBT were weird. This guy uses OneNote and a telnet. He'll actually have a topology map, then some notes and show you configurations. It's real slow but thorough.

CCNA, Network+

Same for the CCNA CBTNuggets video series... I will have to take a peek at the other!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back