Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Browsing the network With a Multihomed Client is Slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out this FAQ.. it may help:

Master Browser issues:

faq96-3728

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

What is the client? I'm assuming 2000/XP, disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on the card not facing the computers you want to browse (its in TCP/IP Properties), reboot and try again. This always works for me.

Matt J.

Presumming a network here.

I would first look at a your DNS and WIN's setting
Ensure, the DNS pointer and the DNS suffix's are correct

Ensure all win's servers are correct and teh are no problems with the 1eh enteries on wins server

I'm using Win2000 Server and both nic are hooked up to the same network. I've checked my DNS and WINS. Stop the Browser service and disable the NetBIOS on the Network controlers that is 2nd in the bindings. what else can I try?

Need some more information.

I take it the server works fine with the Second Nic Disabled (that is browsing is fine no matter which NIC is disabled)

IS the server a Domian Control, Stand alone or member server?

IF its a Domain Controller, what Roles does the server Preform.

Is there a reason for running Both Nics on the same network?

(And I take it the LMHOST and Host Files are empty as you are using DNS and Wins)

The Server is a stand alone and I'm know triing to replicate the configuration of another multihomed server that is set up the transmit on one nic and recive on the other.

I've not configure a machine that way before (except for teaming NIC's on Compaq and HP equipment)

Please enlighten me on how you are attempting to control the Routing between the interfaces? (as this is probably the area we should look at)

I presume that you have Two IP address's (one for each NIC)

I’ve setup a server here with two nics on the same segment and can not replicate the fault that you are having?

Is there any additional software that you are running?

When you've teamed the 2 nics did you have this slow browsing issue. I've just tried it to no avail.

I figured out what my problem was! According to The Remote Access Controller (RAC) Service can hinde network browsing on multihomed computers I haven't had a chance to reaserch why yet. I would appreciate any contribution to why effects of the RAS on browsing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back