Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Browsing the Internet through LAN while VPN is active

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorenzodv

Programmer
Feb 16, 2001
IT
Hi.

I was able to successfully run a VPN between two subnets. Both the VPN client and server run Windows XP Pro. Despite the fact that the VPN server can't browse the client's network, while the client can browse the server's network (but I think this is normal), everything works perfectly, except for Internet browsing.

I get full time Internet access through my LAN (not the LAN on the other side of the VPN) and I have only one NIC card. While connected to the other LAN via VPN, all active Internet connections (downloads for example) remain alive, but I can't initiate new ones nor it seems to be possible to resolve hostnames through the DNS (which resides on my local LAN).

I think the system is trying to resolve addresses through the VPN connection instead of using the default DNS on MY network. Is there a wat to point Windows XP in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

I'm guessin your usin Internet Explorer. I had a similar problem. Remember that once you're out the other side of the VPN, your net connection properties might not be the same. For example, my VPN dropped me out on the net side of a proxy server and I had previosly been connecting to. I couldnt see the side I'd been tryin to connect to so when i looked at the net it died tryin to find the proxy server.

Find something that connects to the net where your VPN tunnel ends and copy its internet explorer settings. The problem should fix.

DNS might be dying if you cant see the DNS server from the far end of your VPN tunnel.

Oh - and check your default gateway is still visible from the far end of the VPN.

Hope it helps...

SN

Try going to the networking tab on the properties of your VPN connection and then the properties of the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) properties of the VPN connection and then click the advanced button and play with the option "use default gateway on remote network". When using a Cisco 3000 VPN from home, if I don't uncheck that box, it won't let me browse the internet thru my DSL at the same time as I use the VPN.

Let me know how that goes by e-mailing me direct at chuck@conifer.biz .

Chuck Sellers, MCSE, CCNA

On the client computer
Properties --> Networking --> Internet TCP/IP
Properties uncheck the Box that says "Use Default Gateway"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back