Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Browsing over a WAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

treble99

Technical User
Jul 25, 2000
GB
Could someone please help me, I have WAN set-up with 1 head office and 3 regional offices all with there own NT servers. Trust relationships are established and the WINS Servers are OK, everything seems to be hunky dory apart from one thing. If any Win 95 clients try to browse the WAN to look any one of the regional offices a message appears saying (“Domain Name” is not accessible. – The computer or share name could not be found. Make sure you typed it correctly, and try again.)
If you keep trying to connect by refreshing the browser or by finding any of the computers under find, eventually the regional clients/servers appear in the explorer. On the NT clients this problem “does not” happen, they seem to just wait for the routers to connect and then show the clients/servers in the explorer. I don’t know whether this is a timeout problem within 95, having to wait for the routers to connect or it is a WINS problem.
Could anyone help because this is really frustrating.
[sig][/sig]

Hey.
Did you enable lmhosts lookup and update the file?
Pritch. [sig][/sig]

Sorry for not getting back sooner Pritch5000.

Are you referring to the WINS section in TCP/IP Properties on the "SERVER". [sig][/sig]

Don't forget that natively routers do NOT support NETBIOS routing. You have to insure your able to utilize and configure NETBIOS over TCP/IP ... the same goes for NETBEUI which is also not routable. This is to say are your routers configured to handle NETBIOS over TCP/IP ... some router set default TCP/UDP ports that could be negative to you. I'm not sure about why the response came to you about LMHOSTS since your using WINS and that takes care of your NETBIOS names to IP address translation. Do you have WINS set up for push/pull with each other and set up on each server?

Just some thoughts

David [sig][/sig]

Hey.
Humour me, put a C:\windows\lmhosts file on a failing W95 client in it resolve the pdc's IP address. Then go to the command prompt and type :
nbtstat -R
actually, before (R)eloading the NetBIOS table view it, type:
nbtstat -c
then after reloading view it again see if there is any change. NOTE: the switches are case-sensitive.
If your NT Wkstns are ok I would look at the W95 connection configs before the routers. If you put an lmhosts file down on the client you by-pass the WINS server(s) and therefore any problems relating to WINS resolution.
Pritch. [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back