Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Browsing network drives suddenly VERY slow/hang

Status
Not open for further replies.

overmonkey

Technical User
May 15, 2002
US
Hi friends,

I'm sitting at a workstation that is, for all intents and purposes, running fine. It is a win2k machine, part of a win2k server domain. They were originally set up with roaming profiles. Yesterday I removed one user from his roaming profile by removing the path in his properties on the server. (he had decided to store his 750M pst on his desktop, along with a few other LARGE files, pushing his profile to 2.27GB) That is the only change made to the server that I am aware of.

Today, another user on another PC is having very weird errors. Her computer is completely stable using local applications and local files. Her login script correctly mapped her shared and personal network drives. However, attempting to access these drives or any file stored therein, creates a pause/hang that last several minutes, after which the files are displayed or accessed.

I'm not a very experienced MS server admin - profiles are only now starting to make sense. I tried logging on as another user and got the same issue. I tried copying the users profile and logging in to that - same issue.

I have read something about cached profiles, but I can't find anything specific. I'm morally certain that this should be a simple issue, but I'm having no joy.

Please help!

Thanks,
Ned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back