Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Browsing Active Directory resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawnpd40

Technical User
Mar 9, 2002
US
All,
I have an odd situation here...we have set up Windows 2000 Server, SP 2. DNS and DHCP is set up and working correctly. We did not install WINS since all of the clients are either W2K Pro or XP Pro. If a user tries to browse for a resource in the Active Directory, none are visible. However on the server, all of the network resources are visible including shares and shared printers. I hate to say it but I am not even real sure where to look...anyone? anyone?

Please let me know what other information is required for your help! Thanks!

Just to make sure we are talking about to same: Are you really browsing through active directory or are you expecting to see something in the network neighborhood? If second one, it's an absolutely different way to take a look at the problem than it is with the active directory browsing. Please tell more!

We are actually trying to browse the network resources in active directory not thru network neighborhood. I know there are many other issues invovled in setting up a domain so users can browse the network neighborhood (WINS, NetBIOS et al...). I have actually set up another W2K Domain and all of the resources were advertised and visible thru active directory...Thanks!

Sorry if this sounds a bit obvious.
Are the client machines DNS settings setup OK and pointing to the server?

No good question! If I use NSLOOKUP all the results come back as expected with the proper server name other characteristics expected when using that command....

Group Policy, user configuration, administrative templates, desktop, active directory, hide active directory folder from my network places.

You might check the domain level group policy or the site level group policy if it affects everyone.

Of course, you can use this to your advantage too. by setting the security permissions to deny on "apply group policy" setting for those groups you wish to see it and hide it from the rest (use advanced view to get the security tab). The average joe has no clue how to use it and I certainly don't want him to browse AD if I consider any of the info confidential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back