Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Browser very sluggish and getting worse

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdin

Technical User
Jan 30, 2003
Hello,
I am running with XP pro and within the last couple of weeks my PC is slowing up and especially Explorer 6.
I have a couple of urls that have taken over from my defaultt and I have tried finding them to dump them but no luck, urls ie; amazingsearchengine etc and searchengine.com there is also something with trustbody, maybe I have a virus!! But anyway the PC is working overtime but getting somewhere slowly. When a browser page comes up suddenly it is blank and then it comes again!!
Any takers on this irritating problem??
yous kindly...BigDin

Sounds more like adware/spyware. Download Ad-Aware or Spybot Search & Destroy. Both should be avalible from download.com.

Adware/Spybot are good for this, but you might want to start with getting ride of the Temp files and Cookies.. And then Running the 2 other programs.. But, usaully the latter works perfect..

R

Do the recommendations here: thread779-832911 This ensures there are no worm issues.

Then carefully follow the advice in faq608-4650

Best,
Bill Castner

Hello,
thank you for your quick reply, I have scanned for the sasser worm and I am advised to download a patch but how do I know which XP I have (mine is XP pro)

1)Microsoft Windows XP and Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 – Download the update

2)Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Service Pack 1 – Download the update

3)Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003 – Download the update
I have mcAfee.
I also went into msconfig because there was many things starting up here is a list of the startup programs I removed; nerocheck;memopeak;realsched;HXIUL;Help Exp;emsw.exe. Should I not have stopped for any of these?
I'll now try the ad-aware
fingers crossed....BigDin

Hello, jmaddone, RandCSC and Bill,

interesting with these spy programs. I use Ashampoo regularly and that was yesterday so I presumed that everything was okay. I downloaded ad-aware and run it and it found another 25 files, then I downloaded Spy-bot and it found 9 files. So I'll look forward to see what happens next. I presume there is one program that is better than others in their own way?........Denis

Yes Yes!!!
urprising what one can come across by luck. Try this, those files I wrote in the last thread,it seems that they all belong to HXDL AL, I foun an article on expalining these files coming into ones computer through legal computer software. As I said I de-checked them in msconfig and so far my PC is running better. But the article tells me it's hard to get rid of completly, so is this my problem and do any of you have an easy formular to get rid of it PERMANENTLY!!

kind regards....Denis

Hey Denis,

I have not really found one program that is better then the other. For work I have AAW & Spybot S&D installed and that keeps my system fairly clean.

Try this MaxMem from AnalogX... Good for real time Memory watcher..

R

Hello Randy,
thanks for the tip, I'll take a look at that.Now that I have cleaned my PC 3 times and found out that the files I mentioned in my latter thread were corrupt (trojan) my PC is working much better now it gets from A to B in no time, thank you all for the motivation to solve the problem, get back to you another time.

all the best....Denis

I have both AdAware and Spybot installed and regularly run both; each finds something that the other misses, so having both is good.

I also have SpywareGuard installed. This runs in the background and monitors for certain actions, like your homepage or search page being altered. It pops up a window telling you what's being done and gives you the option to let it change or to reset back to the original value. I find this a worthwhile tradeoff for the small amount of CPU it must use in the background.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back