Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Browser timing out

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkJN

Programmer
Feb 28, 2001
GB
Hello,

I have written a fairly complex ASP page which does some file processing, and can take up to an hour to execute. This normally works fine, but recently has started having problems.

I have placed proper error handling into the code to report any errors back to the user in a controlled manner. I have also used the Server.ScriptTimeOut instruction to ensure the ASP page has enough time to complete.

The problem I am having is that an error is occurring after about 30 mins, but by this time the browser has given up trying to retrieve the page, so the displayed error message does not appear. Is there any way to extend the maximum period of time that the browser waits for a page to be retrieved? The alternative is that I write the resulting error message to a file, but I would rather not do this for general debugging.

Thanks for any help you can offer

Mark

Mark,
If you set page buffering to false (the default for it), and then periodically do response.write "message something" to the browser, it should continue to wait. You could provide status messages on the status of your script this way too.

response.write "Doing stuff"
do stuff
response.write "Finished doing stuff, now running things
run things
response.write "Finished running things.."

and so on.

I guess it would really depend on how your page is set up.

Hope that helps. Harold Blackorby
hblackorby@scoreinteractive.com
St. Louis, MO

Actually to my knowledge any page should not take that much time to get loaded into the browser and i think there is a serious problem with the page.Please look through the codes in the page.

1. If u have any server.createobject("") please replace it with createobject
2. Dont use arrays(....) to create arrays and do it explicitly

Thankyou for your suggestions, they have been very helpful.

However, there is no problem with the page, it just has to do a very large amount of file and data processing overnight. No user feedback is necessary as part of this process, except for the purpose of debugging. The files produced on completion comprise the page output.

I have now solved the problem using the suggestion provided by hblackorby, - many thanks.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back