Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Browser still screeches to a stop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

andypet

Technical User
Mar 27, 2002
US
Have written in before about this, but still not rectified. When I try to "preview in browser" using DW-4, in either IE,or NS, the browser just stops. It takes MINUTES for it to render the designed page in either browser. Have checked and checked most everything. I need some help here. This is obviously beyond my knowledge, CAN ANYONE HELP ME BEFORE I JUMP OFF THE ROOF, PLEASE?

I'm right in the middle of designing a clients website, and there is more work to come from this company. But if I can't get this fixed soon, I may not get anymore work from them.

Thanks for anything you contribute to this issue.

A couple things come to mind.

#1, turn off Norton AV (or other AV) if you have it running.

#2, Make sure that you don't have a ton of other apps running in the background.

#3, After opening the browser, don't keep shutting downa nd re-opening during the seesion, this tends to fill up cache and causes it to slow down.

#4, How much RAM do you have? What other apps are running? What OS?

#5, When was the last time you cleaned cache and temp files? Defrag and regular scandisk may be prudent, also.

And last, how many fonst do you have installed? If youhave Photoshop (or similar app) open at the same time as DW, you have all these fonts loaded in memory. I keep active fonts down to less than 150, down to 100 if I can swing it. Use a font management application such as Adobe ATM Deluxe to manage fonts.

Hope this helps When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Super advice from viol8ion. There is an additional methos as well.

Open your browser and view the page that you are working on (not the temp file, the actual file). When you wish to preview in the browser just save your changes in dreamweaver, go back to the browser and refresh. If you are not happy with what you have just done you can still undo your changes in DW.

I tend to do this a lot anyway, and especially if I am using a frameset or a frameset with asp pages within which will not preview. Derren
[Mediocre talent - spread really thin]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back