Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Browser Service problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hskr4evr

Technical User
Sep 17, 2002
US
Hello everyone.

I have an NT network that consits of multiple subnets. Each subnet represents a different building in our complex. My network consists of W2K/XP clients, W2K member servers, and NT4 domain controllers.

Just recently I noticed that the computers in a particular subnet (building) are not showing up in network neighborhood. From my location, I can ping the computers in that subnet (building). I can go to START | RUN and type in the computername and be returned with a dialog box that shows the shares that are configured on that computer. The users are operating just fine (internet, email, etc, etc).

This subnet in question does not contain any NT servers. It only has W2K/XP clients.

I assume I am having a problem with the Browser Service in this subnet.

This is the first time I have ever had this sort of problem. What can I do, in this subnet, to begin troubleshooting/resolving this issue??

Thanks.

Eric

The best thing to do in my experience is to install WINS or add the ip range to the local address table

Since you have an NT4 server, you will need a WINS server. Point the clients on the remote subnet to that WINS server. This is what Microsoft literature says to do. I've done it here and it doesn't work, but Microsoft (AKA "God") says it will, so I must have a different problem here.

If you could replace all NT servers with 2000 Servers, you can go to straight DNS and eliminate WINS for name resolution. Y. Doky - "Manager" of Systems

"Works well under constant supervision or when trapped like a rat in a pipe."

Hello Eric,

Ideally, if there are Windows NT 4.0 servers in each subnet, install WINS on one server in each and configure DHCP for each subnet to reflect the local WINS server. Then designate a central NT server to replicate both ways (push and pull) with all of the other WINS servers on the network. This way, all WINS servers will maintain a list of all computers on the network.

Obviously there are limitations if the network is very large as replication takes up network bandwidth and large WINS databases take up server memory and can lead to WINS database corruption. In this situation, as the previous post suggests, Active Directory and DNS would be your best bet.

Arieh Davidoff
System Administrator
Rachlin, Cohen & Holtz, LLP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back