Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

browser or mac table editor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcraig

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2001
CA
Would anyone know of a browser based or mac os x compatible structure editor for vfp .dbf tables?

bcraig,

I don't think there is one. Even Excel can't open VFP tables now (I can't remember which version of VFP this occurred at).

VFP is able to copy it's tables to all kinds of formats, including XML. Does that help - I do get the impression from your post that you don't have VFP?

Hope that helps,

Stewart
PS If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

The last time I looked at "Filemaker Pro" (about 6 years ago) on a Mac it could read DBF's, but it may have only been the Foxbase type ones.

I like work. It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours...

Could you use ODBC to connect to the VFP tables?

For corporate reasons, I have had to switch to a Mac Powerbook, and I am still responsible to support a vfp backend application for one of our clients. It has an ASP frontend with ODBC connections into the tables. I was looking for a convenient way to make structural table changes from OS X, or from a browser.

Worst case, I will purchase Virtual PC and install VFP on the Powerbook.

Regards
Brian

If you can find an app that lets you do T-SQL commands via ODBC, you could then use the "SQL - ALTER TABLE" command to make the changes.

From a quick scan of google, I think VPC is probably the best way to go! I came across this - not sure if it's of any use to you:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back