Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Browser encoding problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomtanium

Technical User
Sep 3, 2002
GB
I'm not sure where this one should go, but I have a problem surfing. Pages that I visit, download incorrectly, i.e. Western European ISO rather than Western European Windows. I have Autoselect checked and I can just refresh having checked the correct encoding, but why does it default to the wrong language?

Is this an ISP problem or am I missing something simple here?

Cheers
Tom

It may not be the wrong language so much as it may be that you don't have the proper fonts installed on your system.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

Most Web pages contain information that tells the browser what language encoding to use.
For example, I notice that some web pages use Western European(Windows), others use WE(ISO), Google uses Unicode(UTF-8), etc.
Autoselect tells the browser which language encoding to use if a web page does not contain this information.

What exact type of problem are you having when a web page uses WE(ISO)?

OK, the effects of WE ISO are that when a page loads in the wrong language, in nanoseconds I see a page of placeholders rather than graphics and frames rather than a layout. Simply by clicking VIEW - ENCODING and selecting WEW it reloads correctly until the next page and I have to repeat the exercise. As already stated, I have selected AUTOSELECT, and still this happens.

Is there anything other than ENCODING that I should be looking at?

Cheers
Tom

Since posting this question, I have changed absolutely nothing on the PC concerned, and the problem has gone away. I can only conclude that the problem was never with my machine, but with my ISP. Has anyone else suffered from these ad hoc problems?

Also, I noticed today that my firewall went beserk during the problem period. According to the log it creates, approx every 10 seconds I was under attack from hackers. Since I am not important enough to be hacked, I rather suspect that the encoding was throwing up an abnormality that the firewall saw as a threat. Any ideas?

Cheers
Tom

Hi Tom,

I am having a somewhat similar issue. I am setting the encoding to be UTF8 on my web pages for a Chinese site.

I have checked the auto select option in the browser encoding (View > encoding > auto-select) was checked.

I get a blank page when coming from a BIG-5 site (e.g. tw.yahoo.com) to the page I have written. If I do a refresh, it comes up fine.

This is happenning on IE only.

Is there anything that I can do to avoid refreshing the page when I come from a Big-5 site to my UTF8 pages.

thanks for your help

VK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back