Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Browser compatibility 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zelandakh

MIS
Mar 12, 1999
GB
I've done a site where the menus are flash movies. Unfortunately, I now find out that some people don't have the flash plug in. I need to catch those people on HP machines who cannot have the flash plug in as it has yet to be ported. Does anyone have any code that can do something akin to the following:<br><br>If OS=Windows or OS=Macintosh and flashplugin=no then download<br><br>If flashplugin {show movie} else {show animated gif in its place}<br><br>Current html includes:<br><br>&lt;object classid=&quot;clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000&quot; codebase=&quot;<A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> width=&quot;60%&quot; height=&quot;80%&quot;&gt;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&lt;param name=&quot;SRC&quot; value=&quot;whirl.swf&quot;&gt;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&lt;embed src=&quot;whirl.swf&quot; pluginspage=&quot;<A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> type=&quot;application/x-shockwave-flash&quot; width=&quot;60%&quot; height=&quot;80%&quot;&gt;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&lt;/embed&gt; <br><br>Also, which browsers/OS combinations will run into problems using the width=&quot;60%&quot;?

You can check if a plugin is installed in a browser by using JavaScript.&nbsp;&nbsp;I won't go over it here, but you can go to <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> and click on JavaScript.&nbsp;&nbsp;I would suggest you go to the reference and look it up in the index.<br><br>As far as browsers and OS combinations, you may have problems with Linux users since Netscape is notorious for crashing on there (how ironic).&nbsp;&nbsp;Besides this, you should be asking what resolutions and color depths you would run into problems. <p>REH<br><a href=mailto:hawkdogg@crosswinds.net>hawkdogg@crosswinds.net</a><br><a href= by Linux</a><br>Learn Linux and Leave out the Windows :)

I have checked resolutions from 320x240 up to 1900x1200 which all work correctly under IE5, but have yet to check colour depth (i.e. forgot about that).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back