Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Browser can't find files

Status
Not open for further replies.

53ford

Programmer
May 24, 1999
CA
Hi, all...and welcome to my frustration. Specifically, I have created a site with DW3 but Netscape 4.7 and IE 5 cannot find or load the index frameset.

I have three frames: a banner frame along the top, a TOC frame on the left and the main frame. Each contains stacked layers that IE 5 and NS 4.7 should easily handle. In fact, when I do the browser check from within DW, all seems well. My guess is the trouble is the frameset itself but I'm at a loss to figure why.

The root folderis on the desktop and the paths are root relative. Netscape will bring up the site properly only if I first open the desktop root folder, then click the index file; IE will not open it no matter how I try to trick it. Once the site is open in NS, I have tried to use preferences to set "Use current page" as the home page. This will work only as long as i do not leave the current session--if I close NS then try to open it with those settings, i get three error messages telling me that NS is unable to find my banner page, my toc page and my main page. I get the same errors when I try to preview the site from within DW (both browsers)

...any ideas???

Thanks in advance.

53ford

OK, I'm replying to my own posting 'cause I figured it out...seems if frames are to be used, the files must be DOCUMENT RELATIVE rather than Root Relative. Soooo, if any others are having this problem, this is the solution.

53ford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back