Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Browse table with BLOB fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

dEraCh2000

Programmer
Nov 14, 2007
BA
Hi,

I have a table that has 5 BLOB fields that contain certain pictures.
Now I have a problem with my browse, becouse every time I click on a row in browse, I takes some time to select, becouse the images are being transefered all the time. I'v seen the trace file and I know that the blob fields are a part of the feth procedure.
So, is there a way to prevent thoose image from being transeferd all the time, or something like a browse on a duplicate table without those columns.

I hope I made some sence

Kind regards
Armin

Hi Armin,

There is a NOMEMO(Table) command which will prevent the retrieving of MEMOs/BLOBs while executing NEXT/PREVIOUS but I am not sure how to set it up to work with the ABC Browse/View classes. Unluckily, when you click on the row the FULL record with memos/blobs are fetched for ISAM tables.

Have you checked the generated code to confirm that they are NOT part of the Browse View?

Regards

Do you need to store the images as a Blob at all?

I mention this because rather than storing an image itself you could store its location (path) only and have a control that a user can use to optionally view the image (ie. only load the image(s) as required).

Regards,
TinLegs

Hi,

We have managed to work smoething out. We have created a view in the server side, which we now use for browse purposes, so this way the blob fields only get fetched during insert/change request.

And, yes, we need to store images in the database becouse the user doesnt want to worry about many files, this way they only need to backup the database and they are safe.

Kind regards
Armin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back