Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Browse on ipad just using bluetooth

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
I have a colleague who will be demonstrating a product at an exhibition. It is web based and works fine in the office with wifi. At the exhibition, everyone has their own wireless hub and the whole place is blasted with wifi signals so nothing connects. I was just wondering, since bluetooth is normally paired and bluetooth is short range, is it possible to get Safari on an ipad to just use a bluetooth connection?

If it is, what do I need to do to get it working? I'm just a windows/linux user and can just about use an ipad for browsing: don't know anything about the internals of iOS.

The provider will be Windows IIS.

IIS is a HTTP server not a provider, in this case the 'provider device' would be the machine that IIS is running on

is it possible to get Safari on an ipad to just use a bluetooth connection?

Not really

Bluetooth is NOT http: And of course how would you know that every visitor to the exhibition IS going to be using an iPad? Or are you using an iPad to display the pages?

All you really need is to make the 'site' accessible via the public Internet (just like any other website) with it's own URLs and if you turn off "Anonymous access" in IIS 'visitors' will need a username and password.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

A windows device can share Internet connection via Bluetooh. In your case you don't need the Internet part, just the conection to the local IIS and I'm not sure how to address that IP.

Cheers,
Dian

Bad idea then - sounds possible but with a lot of pain.

Maybe an iOS expert could help you more than me. If not, as an alternative, you could try a 5G Wifi connection, that has more power and shorter range. Another possibility would be using an application like Wi-Fi Analyzer (for Android, must be an equivalent in iOs), finding the less used range and set the router to use it to minimize collisions

Cheers,
Dian

As I said earlier: it is for an exhibition. Wifi doesn't work at all in exhibitions because everyone has their own wireless router and they're all blasting out the same addresses. You could connect embarrassingly to the wrong machine from a different stand.

As in my earlier post. and I'll repeat the question.

Are you expecting exhibition visitors to use this website OR are you using it to display the demonstration on a machine on your stand?

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back