Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Browse issue with DNE and RAS etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 1, 2002
US
For a couple of days my crew and I have been trying to fix our RAS issues with 2k clients dialing into a nt 4 RAS server and getting assigned ip via dhcp. We could see and access any domain but the one we were joined to.

We went through batter tests, changed some registry settings and last night I took one of the laptops home and decided to try it myself through dial in (I usually do VPN using the CISCO VPN Client to a concentrator, I was amazed I remembered where to stick the phone line for the modem! ;)

So as I sat there thinking it dawned on me what could be the problem with the laptops modem network settings could be.... "Deterministic Network Enhancer" (DNE). I fiddled with it all night until the wee hours of this morning, disabling the DNE didn't do any good, same thing. So I figured it wasn't that and hacked the life out of this laptop.

When I brought it back a few hours later I suggested they re-image the laptop since I had chopped up the machine. So they did... and they put an image that had no VPN client for some reason. My co-worker got the laptop after the image (he is the RAS admin). On his first dial up attempt he was able to browse everything!

First thing out of my mouth? "Check to see if VPN client is installed". Sure enough it wasn't on there so we installed it on the laptop and whalla, no more browsing!

The funny thing is, the first time he installed it today on the newly imaged laptop he was dialed into the network and the install failed, meaning that it is replacing something in use.

So now I know. I just got in about 30 minutes ago and have yet to start my search for a resolution to the evil DNE issue, diabling it doesn't do the trick.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas that are outside the obvious?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back