Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

brows susp

Status
Not open for further replies.

ww1977

Technical User
Dec 6, 2004
US
Using Networker 6. I was trying to do a restore of a unix client. Unfortunately it came upon a "bad file number" . Is there a way to say skip this bad file number while the restore is in processes instead of it just hanging? Also I was checking the entries on the volume and the status reads "brows susp" Why is browsing suspended for some of the filesystems?

susp" means "suspect". NetWorker sets this flag automatically if it encounters a read error during a recover process.

You can not skip a section on tape during the recover process.

The problem could be either a drive or a media problem.
- Do you have another drive where you can recover from?
- Do you have a clone media which you can use to recover from?

using NW612 I have the same msg which I found the file was actually zero size and Networker still restore the file.

This could well be - for example UNIX 'touched' file will have 0 bytes. And of course you can create such on Windows as well.

Do you expect NetWorker to read your mind whether such files are useful for backups at all?

I have tried another drive still get the same bad file number at 237. So I believe it's the tape thats the issue. So now I changed browse time to an older version like Nov 1st. However it's still requesting the bad tape and the data on that tape is from Dec 3rd. How do I make it get the data on other tapes from Nov?

Query the media database as follows:

mminfo -q "savetime>11/01/05, savetime<11/30/05" -r "ssid, volume"

Now determine the save set id (ssid).

Then, in a second step recover as follows:
recover -d destination_path -S ssid
or with
recover -d destination_path -S ssid -a <absolute_pathname>

The ssid ensures that the correct tape is taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back