Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Brother MFC8660dn nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naro

Technical User
Sep 4, 2003
US
Brother MFC8660dn nightmare:
Working fine with our Win7 computers (direct USB and networked) using the BROTHER provided Drivers. Then I upgraded to HP Spectre x360 and Win 10. Win 10 and all of its build in drivers are up to date.
UNABLE to install and use this printer:
Following the Brother web site instructions: “windows 10 built in drivers… will detect and install automatically”….. AND it does detect and show the printer in Printers and Scanners…. But “driver is unavailable”.

BROTHER tech support: After numerous attempts to remote in and install…”we don’t provide drivers for this…the Windows 10 built in drivers are supposed to work” CALL MICROSOFT.

MICROSOFT…. After numerous attempts to remote in and install… “contact HP to see if they have a fix.”

HP SUPPORT… After half-hearted attempt to install: “this is a software issue and you have to upgrade to a higher level of support to get help…. But they are just going to tell you to ask Brother if they have a generic driver.

BROTHER – installing a generic driver won’t solve the problem, since Win 10 is going to detect the printer and force its built in drivers” Which we already know won’t work.

SO…..what do you say: Buy a new printer?

Yes, I would replace the printer. Some of these older printers just don't play well with Windows 10 and some have reduced functionality if they do work.

If you installed it on a new computer, I would definitely come to that conclusion. If it was a much older computer that may other issues (corruption in Windows), I could maybe think it had something to do with the computer.

Do you have a second computer that you can test it on with Windows 10?

Do you have a second computer that you can test it on with Windows 10?
No, I don't. But I have come to agree to give up on that particular printer and Win10.
Thanks, Goombawaho

Don't give up on Windows 10. Time moves on and old peripherals may not work 10 years down the line. Stick with W10 and throw out the non-cooperative devices. Get off Windows 7 for security reasons.

Yes of course. I didn't intend to give up on Win 10. I just have a few legacy applications which won't run beyond Win 7 no matter what I do, so I keep the old Win 7 laptop around. I'll give up on that particular printer with Win 10.

I just said that because some people are so stubborn that they're on Windows XP to keep a 20 year old printer - exaggeration. So you are a rational human being!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back