Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

broken processor fan!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC21

IS-IT--Management
Jul 1, 2003
US
Good Afternoon fellow tekkers,

My computer has fallen on some hard times. The fan on the processor (pentium4) seems to have stopped working. Equally odd is that the other cooling fan connected to the motherboard seems to have stopped working as well. The result: i can only use my computer for X amount of minutes before it auto shuts down on account of the processor overheating.

the next fact, which i will most likely be ridiculed for, is that the fan stoppage occured shortly after i opened up the machine to investigate a strange sound (it was from a hard drive and not the fan) and i more than likely moved a wire somewhere and next thing you know the machine shuts down. i turn it back on and there is a bios prompt asking me to check out the power management. It was from here that I found out that the processor was overheating.

soooo...what does everyone think the problem is? did i shortout my motherboard? is this salvageable or is this the end? i have a lot of important documents on the hard drive. suggestions and/or comments would be appreciated

*if i get through this i WILL NEVER open the machine again while it is on.

its is possible you could have shorted somthing, but there are other possible reasons as well. First I would double check you don't have any loose connections dealing with the fans. Also If you happen to have access to another power supply and cpu fan I would try swaping them out and see if one or both is faulty as well.

I'd be looking in the bios. Almost sounds like it lost it's settings and perhaps there's one in there for fan control. As a last resort you can cut the connectors off the fans and splice them into one of the free drive connectors +12 and -12 feeds. Make sure to do it proper with solder and heat shrink tubing or electrical tape.

There is no -12 volt line on the molex connector. it is +12volt is yellow,+5 volt is red,and black is of course ground. Also some motherboards don't like having nothing on the rpm sensor for the cpu. Some allow you to shut the sensors off in bios.

Yes, black is ground but there's two so we can refer to them as -5 and -12, negative grounds, lol. I still say to look in the bios though. Most likely some sort of setting there that got changed to disabled.

fans are fairly cheap, but I would caution troubleshooting too much which having the cpu overheat and pc shut down....just to be safe replace the fan +/- the ps.

[yinyang] Tranpkp [pc2]

I am wondering if there is a bios or perhaps even mobo prob as you are saying that not only did your cpu fan die but also your system fan, 2 fans died at the same time is, i think, what you said? That is too much of a co-incidence.
That being the case, its definitely either a bios issue or the fan portion of the mobo is shot and you will have to switch to molex connectors, that is, if your mobo will allow you to use this method. Your manual may refer to this but i dont recall ever reading a manual that did.

If you cant fix the prob or you go to molex connectors please let us know how you made out.
What make and model mobo do you have?

much thanks for the assistance everyone. im away from the computer at the moment so i cant tell you the model# offhand. what i can tell you is that it is an Asus mobo.

Garebo, you are right. it is too much of a coincidence. to those of you suggesting soldering and such- im not too familiar with that process so im not going to make anything worse than it already is.

to those suggesting it was a setting in the bios, i suspected the same. but my question to you is: what setting in the bios would require changing with this particular problem?

as you can tell im trying to get as much information about possible solution before i attempt anything. i dont want to worsen the problem; fixing it in one shot is the goal.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back