Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Broken OLE Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volk359

Technical User
Jun 30, 2004
US
Greetings All,

We've got some drawings that have been turned over to us where an Excel spreadsheet has been linked as an OLE. The data needs to be updated however the original file is no longer available so the table cannot be opened in Excel.

By right-clicking on the object and selecting OLE\Open a "Failed to launch server application" error shows up. Selecting OLE\Convert gets the Convert dialog box but clicking OK does nothing but dump me back to the command line. (A linked object must be converted at the source.)

In OLELINKS I've tried to Change Source to a dummy XLS file but I get the same "Failed to launch server application" error. Breaking the link converts it to a Windows Metafile and I can copy\paste that into Windows Paint, Paintshop Pro, etc. and save as a TIF and insert the new file for processing. I'd rather avoid that.

Any suggestions? Versions 2008/2011

Thanks,

Keith

The data you need is not in the drawings. You need to get a copy of that "no longer available" spreadsheet. ... and you need to have Excel installed on the computer where you're trying to open the Excel file from within AutoCAD.

No, you had it right. Unfortunately "we can't find it" is all too common from our contractors. Since it's embedded the data should be in the drawing so it seems to me there should be a way to digitally extract it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back