Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Broken icon after install OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComputerShaman

IS-IT--Management
Apr 12, 2005
US
Hello,
I have a situation.
I work at a small college and we are getting ready to start an OS X class after not having it in a while.
We are using iMacs and our CDs are 10.1 I believe.

I lined up the five machines we are going to use and they had a lot of garbage files and apps on them so I thought I'd reinstall the OS. I booted to the CD, installed and selected the "Erase and format Mac OS Extended" selection. The install went fine, so it seemed, until it rebooted and it comes up with a broken icon.

I watched and the smiley face comes on, then a "?" over a folder and then the broken icon.

I tried restarting with the "X" held down, no go. Then with the Apple and S, no go. After looking on Google real quick, I tried holding the Alt, Apple, R and P down on restart, still no go.

I am home now so will research what I did before I go back in on Sunday to try ti fix it. Classes begin on Monday.

Any ideas?? Is there anythiong I can do??

You aren't entirely clear - did one machine fail or all 5?

the ? icon indicates the machine(s) can't find the operating system. You might want to reboot from the install CD, but instead of installing, find the utilities menu (in the upper left corner, out of the way) and select repair disk.

Try also booting from an OS9 CD and seeing if any files actually installed on the hard drives. Maybe you have nothing on the computers.

- - I hope this helps - -
[sub](Complain to someone else if it doesn't)[/sub]

I did all five machines in a row, like an assembly line.
Thus my horror when they all did not work!

Research I have done since tells me we probably had OS 9 before with the OS X (10.1) on top of it. When I took the 10.1 CD and installed I erased all the OS 9. I had no idea I needed it too. I figured the OS X CD was a full installation. So, tomorrow I will go in and try to find an OS 9 CD. What concerns me is that I have never seen one there in all the time I have been the Admin. I tried to find a download for OS 9 and I haven't had any luck. We can buy it online from several places, but I hope to have them up on Monday morning. It ain't lookin' too good for that though.

Thanks for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back