Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Brocade 200E Switch Config

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgoodwin3

Technical User
Jul 22, 2008
US
I have a pair of Brocade 200E switches that attach several windows 2003EE SQL 2005 clusters to an HP EVA 4000. I use mulitple Emulex HBAs with HPDSM MPIO for path redundancy/failover. The storage configuration is redundant at all levels (dual controllers, multipathed HBA's, redundant switches, etc)

I need to add several more servers and a new netapp storage array to the existing production switch.

To accomplish this I have configured zones for the new equipment, and created a new config contianing new and existing zones. Now IO need to enable the new config. From what I understand, "enable config" will cause a very brief "pause" in IO.

My question is: Will this brief pause be seemlessly handled by MPIO (provided it is configured correctly of course)? I suspect it will but I am not a storage expert. I want to be toatlly safe as I have 20K users hitting this system.

I have to imagine adding hardware to switch configs is a common practice, especially for larger shops. I cant imaging having an outage everytime I add hardware...

Thanks for the help

MPIO has a default timeout value after which it will failover, and these values are set to several seconds ( 20 and higher ).Enabling a config of a switch takes about 1 second or so.This means that mpio will not failover when switching to a new config.
The users will not be impacted by that ( if your zones are correct :) ), I have done this many times before.

rgds,

R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back