Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Broadcasting messages to computers on the network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AP81

Programmer
Apr 11, 2003
AU
I need to write a app that broadcasts messages to everyone with this app running, e.g.

When the user logs on to the domain, an app is launched and sits in the tray. They can then right-click and click 'broadcast message'. They then type in a message then click send. This message will then pop up a message to all computers running this app.

My idea is to have the app use a timer which checks a MySQL database every 60 seconds. If the message is set to 'ON' in the database, when the timer checks it will then pop up a message that the last user has set. I have used this for a small application which supported about 10 users, however this may not suffice for concurrent use of 40 to 50 users, which is roughly how many users will be using this in my case.

A client-server approach may be a better option, but I am still not sure how to approach this.

Any ideas or pointers?

Thanks in advance,
Adam

------------------------------------
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I would reccomend you check out Indy components.

To send and listen for broadcasted messages in the network you may find the following indy components of very good use indeed:
- TIdUDPClient
- TIdUDPServer

"It is in our collective behaviour that we are most mysterious" Lewis Thomas

Thanks bledazemi, I guess I can make the application both a client and a server. Should work...

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back