Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Broadcast Storm Control on 2948G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pluttur

Programmer
Feb 20, 2005
SE
Hi!

Does the 2948G support broadcast storm control?
All I can find is unicast-flood, but that's not quite what I want.

If they support it, how do I configure it? Can't find it =)

Also, do they have support for blocking dhcp-responses (e.g. a user sets up his own dhcpd which will interfere with ours)?

It runs CatOS k8.8
Thanks
/Pluttur

STP helps prevent broadcast storms, so yes it does support it so long as you configure your ports properly on the switch... don't use auto anything if possible (speed/duplex) or switchport, hard code it all. Also, if you are connecting it to another switch make that port a trunk on both sides and not desireable. And for all other ports make them access ports with portfast enabled. OH! and another thing if you REALLY want to see a broadcast storm (to play around a lil =P)

1) plug an unmanaged linksys/dlink switch into a port on the 2948 that you have turned into an access port with portfast on

2) plug a computer into one of the linksys ports

3) test connectivity

4) take another cable and plug it back into it self...

had a guy at our office do that a couple of years ago, brought our network to its knee's within a few minutes... was even more fun trying to figure it out lol

------------------------------------
Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

Only make user ports as spanning tree portfast , any uplinks to other networking gear disable portfast. As far as catos goes and broadcast supression it is not supported on the 2948G or cat 4000 line , the 6500's do support it . It would be the "set port broadcast" command.

I believe that the 2948 will support broadcast storm, multi-cast storm, and uni-cast storm control. It is set a physical interface or etherchannel connection. Go to a specific port and type "storm-control ?" This is also what makes it difficult to fine-tune. It can be set either as a percentage of the percentage bandwidth(or traffic I can't remeber) or as packets per second. You can then set it to either filter the traffic, shutdown the port, or send an SNMP trap.

I thought there was a way to apply an ACL to an individual switch port to block DHCP, but I can't remeber if it actually worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back