Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Broadcast Ringing Group Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

startech123

Technical User
May 27, 2014
US
I have a site with an old MICS system. On Friday, I went there to add/assign a voice mail box to a station, but after doing that, I ended up working on a trouble that had (apparently) just started up a couple of hours before I arrived. According to the customer, her phone (extension 101) would normally ring twice on an incoming (Outside) call and then transfer the ringing to other phones in the area. She said that when she went to lunch that day, she had forwarded all her calls to another extension as usual. The problem was that this time, when she came back and cancelled the call-forwarding, the ringing transfer quit working. I verified that this was happening as she had described, and then started checking the system programming for Hunt Groups.
Here's what I found:
1. Ext 101 is set to "Ring No Answer" after 2 rings, to 587.
2. 587 is the pilot for Hunt Group 01 (HG01).
3. HG01 is set to "Broadcast" ring to 4 or 5 other extensions (ext 152, 180 etc).
4. C.O Lines 1 - 8 are set to "Assigned" in HG01.
5. On the stations that the ringing is transferred to, all the lines are set to "Appear Only".

It looks to me as if the programming as described above should create the ringing sequence as described. Is there a "fat-finger" way to accidentally turn off (disable or re-direct) a Hunt Group operation? Is there a flaw in the programming that I'm missing? f the programming is correct, does anyone have any idea why it would suddenly quit working... or how to get it to start working again? My thanks to all who contribute to the forum, and any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Did you test the Hunt Group by calling 587 from any set?
Did you make sure the Forward was cancelled? F#4
If the setup does not work then what exactly occurs, where do calls end up?

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Thank you for the response. I had the user set, and then cancel call forwarding: to and from the same extensions that she had used before. Everything worked as it should, and she was very familiar with call forwarding procedure.

The user wants all the C.O lines to appear on the phones in the area, but only have selected phones ring if/when extension 101 didn't answer. So the lines are set to "Appear Only" all the HG01 members, and therefore they have a normal, silent, incoming call indication. When I called Line 1 from my cell phone, I heard extension 101 ring twice and then stop ringing (as it should) but I was standing next to extensions 152 and 180 (both are in the Hunt Group) and neither of them rang. My (simplified) understanding of this Broadcast Hunt Group setup is that if I dial 587, HG01 members should ring; whether there's a real incoming call or not.

I didn't think to try calling 587 when I was there. This site is about 45 minutes away, and I set up a work-around Friday to buy myself some time. So I'll try to get back there next week sometime, and if/when I do, I'll try dialing 587 and see what happens. But the problem is that whether the member phones ring or fails to ring, I'm not sure where to go from there. Obviously this one's got me chasing my tail, so I'm open to suggestions. Thank you again for your response, and I will let you know what happens.

Try setting your HG member to ring and appear or ring only.

The lines should not be assigned to the DNs in the hunt group. Not even appear only.

Marv ccna
telemarvlogosmall.gif

Sales, Installation & Service for Norstar, BCM, Samsung & Allworx Serving Ottawa and Eastern Ontario since 1990

That is the rule indeed but the lines do not need to be assigned in Hunt Group programming if HG's are used for internal use.
As in HG's are not answering outside lines, 101 is answering then transferring to HG01 much like it would from AA.
Remove the lines from HG and A&R at 101 only for starters.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I did not do the initial setup and programming of this system, and the trouble was reported to have just begun a couple of hours before I arrived on site. In that context, I did not really look into the initial HG setup parameters. Instead, I got stuck" on trying to figure out why it would have suddenly quit working... maybe due to to some kind of user error. MY BAD!!! After all these years, you'd think I would have considered that (just occasionally LOL) a reported "trouble" is more like what the user "wants" to happen. This is a large, old, complex system, and it has a few operating quirks that need to be addressed. However, I'll save that for another day. Before I go back over there, I'll freshen up on hunt group operations, and I'll check/modify (or just delete and re-configure) this operation correctly. Again, my thanks to all who monitor and respond on this forum, and I'll post the results as soon as I get the problem resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back